RTD bus program ‘still up for discussion’ despite passes not being issued for Fall

643
0
The RTD bus stop located in front of campus. Delta students were offered free, unlimited bus rides for a year, but that program did not continue into the Fall 2023 semester. PHOTO BY MERCELI RIOS

A program offering unlimited bus rides to Delta College students through a partnership with San Joaquin Regional Transit District did not continue into the Fall semester, but discussions are ongoing about whether it will come back.

“I can confirm that the agreement with RTD for free ridership with student ID cards was not continued into the new academic year, due to the cost. That said, we’re certainly concerned about making sure that students who need help with transportation are able to get to campus, so we’re looking for ways to provide bus passes to students in the future,” said Alex Breitler, Director of Marketing and Communications at Delta College. “The details as to how that will work have not yet been determined, but we will be sharing more information once it’s available,” Breitler added.

Merab Talamantes, the Project Controls Manager with RTD, said the Delta-RTD contract is in negotiation following further discussion.

“RTD and Delta College staff are meeting to discuss the renewal of the Memorandum of Understanding on September 21,” Talamantes said.

Supervisor of Marketing and Customer Engagement with San Joaquin Regional Transit District, Maximilian Cao, responded to inquiry via email.

“At this moment, the contract is still up for discussion,” he said.