Stockton Symphony presents Ukrainian pianist

"Engage!" with the Stockton Symphony

595
0

The Stockton Symphony returns to Delta College’s Atherton Auditorium for its 2023-24 season on Sept. 23 and Sept. 24 with “Engage!” featuring piano composer Stanislav Khristenko of Ukraine.

“Besides the acoustics, Atherton is a very fine facility … very little of what I like to call a cave … Whereas if you go to San Francisco and sit in Davies Hall; it feels like everything is far off in the distance. At Atherton there is a great sight  line from every seat in the hall to the stage, so it gives off a feeling of immediacy and connection to  what’s happening on stage,” said Stockton Symphony Music Director and Conductor Peter Jaffe. 

“Engage!” will be the symphony’s 97th performance, making it the third oldest performing professional symphony in California. 

“It’s an all professional orchestra, the Stockton Symphony, and we’re the third oldest continuously operating orchestra in California,” said Jaffe.  

The program will be kicking off with a party an hour before each show. On the patio there will be refreshments, and a performance from the students of the Cesar Chavez High School Jazz Band.

Following the party, the symphony will be performing the National Anthem. 

From there, the orchestra will be playing “Brazil” by Ari Barros. 

The second part in the second performance, “Secret of Wind and Birds” by the Chinese American composer, Tan Dun. During this piece, ancient Chinese instruments will be used to emulate the sound of birds. The symphony will ask the audience to record for a minute or more. 

“It will be trail blazing,” said Jaffe. “For the first and last time ever, we will be insisting that the audience have their phones on! That’s kind of the whole idea behind what engage means, it’s an event for the audience to gather, socialize and have a great time.” 

Khristenko, an internationally acclaimed piano soloist will be performing “Ravel: Piano Concerto in G Major.” Amidst the show Khristenko also handles an emotional battle over the Ukrainian war that is keeping him from seeing his family. He is at the age where if he were to visit his country, they may draft him into the war. 

“Music is his therapy,” Jaffe added. 

Given Khristenko’s talents it is expected that he will give an encore after the finale, “Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture.” 

Tickets for the “Engage!” are available online at stocktonsymphony.com. 

Prices are $49 for adults and only $10 for children 13 and under. 

“Ticket sales have been good! We’re at 700 subscriptions, which is the same as last year, or even better,” said Dan McCabe, Stockton Symphony Box Office Manager, who said  that trends show people often purchase tickets at the last minute.