Delta receives E-Bikes, program immediately suspended

938
0
One of Bike Stockton’s e-bikes, located by the Delta Health Center. PHOTO BY ANDREA RIVERA

On Aug. 31, five e-bikes were delivered to the Delta College campus as part of a collaboration between Bike Stockton, Shared Mobility, Inc. and the San Joaquin Council of Governments. This collaboration formed the Stockton Mobility Collective (SMC).

The program was to provide safe, affordable and clean transit options for people throughout Stockton. Less than a week later, the program was discontinued throughout the city, with organizers noting “escalating vandalism and theft” as reason.

David Imeri, the Apprentice Technician with Shared Mobility, was on campus delivering the bikes, which are provided through Bike Stockton, a program contracted to provide the bikes along with a mobile based app and website which connects riders to bicycles.

“Bike Stockton is a nonprofit run e-bikeshare program being piloted in the City of Stockton,” said Tyler Maddell, the program manager with Shared Mobility Inc. “The program aims to provide affordable access to e-bikes for residents and visitors.”

The bike program is part of a larger vision, drafted by the SMC, which is overseen by the California Air Resources Board (CARB). The purpose of the mobility project is to “provide Stockton residents with affordable, clean, safe and reliable travel modes that bridge the gaps between existing transit service and personal vehicle ownership,” according to the CARB website.

Part of the Stockton Mobility Collective is Christine Corrales, Manager of Planning with the San Joaquin Council Of Governments (SJCOG).
Corrales was available for an interview, via phone call.
“So currently we have several stations online throughout the city (of Stockton), you all at Delta College are our newest station.”

On Sept. 4, the program was suspended without notice.

Communications Journalist Keith Michaud issued a statement to the Collegian on behalf of SJCOG. “The San Joaquin Council of Governments can confirm that Bike Stockton has removed the bikes as they work on solutions to serve its loyal members and the community,” the email read.

A public statement announcing the suspension was posted on the Bike Stockton website (bikestockton.org). “Bike Stockton has decided to suspend until further notice all services as of Sept. 4 due to escalating vandalism and theft,” the top-of-site notice said in bold lettering.

“This difficult, but necessary decision came after much thought and consideration about what was best for everyone involved, especially loyal Bike Stockton members. This is a pilot project and we knew there would be discovery and learning along the way. Bike Stockton is determined to redesign the program so that Stockton residents can take advantage of e-bikes as a transportation option. We appreciate your patience while we work to redesign the e-bike program. Please return to bikestockton.org for updates,” reads the Bike Stockton PSA.

The program had been in the works for a while. In 2020, the SMC submitted an application for a Mobility Project Voucher (MPV) to CARB, which was part of a state wide $20 million budget. In 2021 the SMC was approved for a grant exceeding $7 million dollars.

“We went and submitted a proposal to the California air resources board and ended up being awarded a $7.5 million dollar grant. This grant is for piloting, not just the electric bike share program that we’re talking about today, but we also have under the Stockton Mobility Collective, a new one-hundred percent electric vehicle car-sharing program that’s also operating in Stockton now,” said Corrales.

How much of the grant award that has been allocated is unknown. Currently, there is no announcement as to when Bike Stockton will be lifting the suspension of services. Upon suspension of the bike program in Stockton, Shared Mobility inc, was unavailable for comment.