NextUp provides resources to current and former foster youth

431
0

As of the Fall 2023 semester, foster youth at Delta can now receive support through the NextUp program. Current and former foster care youth formerly received services from the Guardian Scholars Program.

“Until the start of the Fall 2023 semester, current and former foster youth found additional support on our campus through the Guardian Scholars Program. NextUp and Guardian Scholars have been working closely together to thoughtfully transition support for students,” said Jennifer Dione, Interim Assistant Director of EOPS/CARE/NextUp.

“The NextUp Program, also known as CAFYES (Cooperating Agencies Foster Youth Educational Support), is designed to serve current and/or former foster youth enrolled in San Joaquin Delta College by giving them access to the Above and Beyond services offered by EOPS. NextUp’s mission is to assist and guide current and/or former foster youth with their education goals by providing personal guidance, academic, and financial support,” reads Delta’s website. 

NextUp is a program that stretches across California through California Community Colleges, established in 2014. 

The NextUp and EOPS programs provide students with services that support them in their personal, academic and life goals. 

“NextUp students are automatically enrolled into EOPS as they are enrolled into NextUp, so NextUp students are eligible for all the support and services offered by EOPS, in addition to NextUp exclusive services,” said Dione. 

A vital part of the NextUp program is counseling. Students enrolled in the NextUp and EOPS programs meet with their counselor a minimum of three times a semester to better assess how they can be supported. 

“This allows students to receive support throughout the semester to identify academic challenges and receive resources and support proactively throughout each term,” Dione said. 

Services provided by the NextUp program include food and necessity grants, summer housing grants, campus and community referrals, enrollment support, and specialized workshops, according to Delta’s website. Counseling services, transfer services, registration services, retention services, and orientation programs are also provided through EOPS. 

Services do not end at EOPS or NextUp, as the programs acknowledge the individuality of students and help to connect them to resources that suit their needs. 

“Individual students have individualized needs. As we meet with students, we triage potential needs or interests and then connect them with colleagues on campus who can provide continued support. Our program works to maintain relationships with campus and community partners so we can work together to meet as many of our student’s needs as possible,” said Dione. 

Having programs like NextUp available to Delta students who qualify is an integral part of the college. 

“NextUp is important to Delta College because it supports the mission and vision of our district.  Programs like NextUp are evidence of Delta’s continued support for underrepresented student populations and commitment to campus equity initiatives and programs,” said Dione. 

To see if students qualify for the program, they may search for the NextUp program on Delta’s website, which has a list of qualifications. Students may also reach out to EOPS. The EOPS Service Counter is located on the second floor of the DeRicco Building in the counseling center and can be reached at (209)954-5151 Ext. 6296.