Behavioral therapist now available at Delta

664
0

Since the beginning of the Fall 2023 semester, Delta College has begun offering behavioral therapy services with James Javier Long through the Health Center.

Services include solution-focused interventions and support, psychiatric treatment and care, individual counseling, case management and coordination.

“I propose a lot of different solutions and coping mechanisms to help navigate stress, stress is unavoidable,” Long said, noting how college classes are stressful for students. “Eighty percent of our chronic illness is associated with stress. So it is important that we have tools to navigate through stress in healthy ways, rather than unhealthy ways. It’s those healthy habits that we’re going to take with us for the rest of our lives.”

Long began working with Community Medical Centers (CMC), which operates the Delta College Heather Center, in April, originally providing services in the Locke-located center. Born in the Bay Area, Long has been in the Central Valley for 21 years.

Long moved to the counseling center, specifically DeRicco 234, a week before the beginning of the Fall 2023 semester.

“We’re getting a steady flow of students,” Long said. “The visibility of me being here in the counselor’s office and the accessibility has kind of increased that number.

To make an appointment, students need to call CMC with the number (209) 636-5000.

Long’s hours are Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Those hours may change from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., but it is unknown when and if that will happen. On Tuesdays and Thursdays he is working in a clinic in downtown Stockton. 

There may be registration or paperwork involved in the process to secure an appointment.

“It is important students know that the resources are available,” Long said, noting students come with a lot of different traumas. “Life doesn’t always afford us the opportunity to kind of slow down and exhale, but it’s actually important that we do that.”

Students can also speak with a Behavioral Health Specialist through a Warm Line by phoning (209) 926-3900. This is a confidential free phone service that offers mental health support.