Delta event celebrates local history in renamed Campesino Forum

435
0

The Chicano Latino Faculty Task Force held an event on Oct. 5 to celebrate the renaming of the South Forum to Campesino Forum.

The renaming is done to honor immigrant farm workers in our region. There was a sentiment about the lack of respect for immigrant laborers presented. 

Due to the change, Campesino Forum hopes to mark a newfound pride in labor work.

With the official dedication slated for Nov. 2, the CLF felt it necessary to use the celebration to educate students on the purpose of the renaming. 

The celebration began with a blessing of the building. The blessing was conducted in an indigenous fashion to acknowledge indigenous ancestry. 

Ricardo Aguilar Rodriguez, Associate Professor at Delta College, noted the blessing as a form of honor for the land of the Yokuts, Plains Miwok, Patwin, and Nisenan. 

In an activity where attendees were asked to stand if they had personal experience or familial and acquaintance affiliation with farmworking, most in the South Forum rose. 

It led to a standing ovation, appreciative of everyone’s background.

Delta Arts Professor Mario Moreno expressed the significance of the celebration, offering a platform of exposure.

“It is our hope this will mark the beginning that for the first time Campesinos will not be invisible,” Moreno said.

The event relayed messages of the significance of farm workers to the region, most notably highlighting the pandemic years when farmworkers were categorized as emergency responders. 

Sarah Seekatz, Professor and Cultural Awareness Program Chairperson at Delta College gave a presentation that gave insight into the economic contribution farmworkers produce. 

“Working the rich soil within our District, we find almost 49,000 farm labor-related jobs. The agricultural products grown and harvested by Campesinos in our region are exported to 99 countries worldwide. In this Campesino Forum, named by us, named for us, named with us. It says that we belong here. It shouts it,” Seekatz said.

The event also gave insight into the struggle behind the process: receiving supportive letters from students, over a thousand signatures from farm workers within two weeks, and still passing with just one vote.

A short documentary was screened showing the board meeting that approved the renaming.

Adriana Brogger, Digital Media Professor at Delta College, also presented filmmaker Joe Poni and his team to a screening and Q&A of their short film “Campesinos America’s Unsung Heroes.”

A poetry reading relaying the appreciation for farm-working relatives was performed to conclude the event.