Enrollment for Spring semester with outlook toward larger student population

478
0
The Delta College campus is seen from above on Oct. 31. PHOTO BY THE COLLEGIAN

Open registration for the Spring 2024 began on Oct. 30, with priority registration for select student populations beginning on Oct. 16.

The spring semester begins on Friday, Jan. 12.

This school year sees Delta moving away from enrollment struggles related to the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic, which saw student numbers decline in 2021 and 2022 to 16,220. 

Enrollment is at 18,658 this semester, according to a Collegian story from early Fall, enrollment increased at the beginning of the semester.

Delta’s goal is to get back to pre-pandemic numbers so it continues to add a lot more in-person classes than online due to the pandemic being over and having multiple campuses like Mountain House and Lodi.

Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Brietler gave the exact number of classes in person, hybrid, and online. 

“At this point in time, about 29 percent (554 classes) are fully in person, 42 percent of classes are fully online (809 classes and 27 percent are a hybrid between online and in person,” Brietler said, “one way to look at the data would be to say 56 percent or more than half of our spring classes are at least partially in person.”

Brietler said Delta’s goal is to give students as many options as possible. 

“What we’re really trying to do is give students options to pick classes that will work best for their schedules and learning preferences,” Brietler said. “Some may prefer an in-person learning environment while others may prefer or need the flexibility of online learning. As we continue to adjust to the new normal of higher education post-COVID we will keep working hard to create the best schedules we can for our students.”

Delta student Teaghan Gallego is excited about more in-person classes being available to students. 

“I have always preferred learning in person than online and when I was registering for fall classes I was disappointed there weren’t more in-person options and they still had lots of online classes,” Gallego said. “I’m happy to hear about the changes because I do live closer to Lodi which means I can add more classes for the spring semester at the Lodi campus and I feel enrollment will increase as well.” 

Gallego’s goal is to graduate in the Summer 2024 and plans to transfer to a four-year college in California but is undecided on which one. 

Eladio Martinez is a high school graduate who is planning to go to Delta but took one semester off. Martinez said that online classes offer flexibility and doesn’t understand why Delta is cutting back on them. 

“Online classes have always been easier for me because I work and I have a really big family. They allow you to work on your schedule and I travel a lot for work so it helps that my work is all on my laptop,” Martinez said in an email interview. “I don’t like that Delta is planning to do more in-person learning but it is something I will have to adjust to.”

Martinez plans to go to St. Mary’s College and wants to open up his own business in Stockton after college.

It is always important to meet with a counselor to discuss educational plans and personal challenges. You can use the shopping cart on MyDelta and you could organize your schedule the way you want to.