Delta wrestling throws down at dual meet

481
0

On Nov. 1, Delta College men’s wrestling went head-to-head in the Fresno dual meet. Wrestlers faced off against Fresno City College at 7 p.m. in Blanchard Gym. 

The matches were tough, as Fresno City College, as of Oct.12, was ranked second in the California Community College Athletic Association and is the current reigning state champs. Only freshman Marcus Mireles won for Delta. 

“They have multiple guys that are ranked number one or two in the state. We knew we were in for a hard-fought battle, but we know we’re gonna have to see them again at regionals.

And so the goal was to just compete. And we knew it was, like I said, an uphill battle. But I want my men to not shy away from that type of competition,” said head coach Michael Sandler. 

Though wrestling is an individual sport, there is still an important team aspect, allowing each athlete to showcase their individual skill for the collective benefit of the team. 

“That’s the one great thing about wrestling is we have the two components, right? We have a team score, which you saw, and then we have individual scores. So each member is doing the best that they can to contribute to the team, and we talk all the time in practice; you’re only as strong as your weakest link,” said Sandler. “So we support each other, we work to make everybody feel as though they’re part of what we’re doing, and that they’re getting better each and every day.” 

As athletes are competing on the mat, their teammates cheer and shout from the side; they try their best to make sure the competing athlete feels energized and supported. 

“So I think there’s a lot of camaraderie that comes in wrestling, especially, people don’t think about it there too much because it’s an individual sport, but it really is a lot of camaraderie. Just taking everybody accountable, making sure everyone practices hard every single day,” said wrestler Robert De La Torre. 

Another team aspect that is crucial during practice, according to wrestler JJ Mikbel, is your training partner. Without a good training partner, your skills in practice are affected and thus, they are also affected in competition. 

The bonds that the team makes are a driving factor for many of the players. Their drive for success goes beyond a personal level and instead expands to a collective one. 

“It’s like you want to win for them. Instead of just going out there for yourself, having people sending you love and support, it makes you want to win to make them proud,” said De La Torre. 

Progresses can only be made, however, with extensive training and commitment. Athletes commit their time to games, practices, weight training, diets, and more. 

“It’s the preparation of it, all the work in the room that we do. I’m thankful that I have coach Sandler as a coach because he teaches high technical stuff. I think that’s honestly what it is, the improvements every week, thanks to that,” said Mireles.                                                                                                                                                                                                            

The sport can, at times, feel like it encompasses the athlete’s entire lives, but they continue to work towards their goals, still this can be stressful. The athletes must remain levelheaded and calm during matches, developing habits and mindsets that help them through these stressors. 

“Just put some nice music on,” said wrestler Hashir Arif. “Whatever happens, go out there and wrestle your hardest.” 

Despite the losses, Delta held its own and is using them to better understand where they do and do not need improvement.