Figure from RP Group

In Spring 2023, Delta college issued their campus climate survey, interviewing many students and employees. 

The survey had a big focus specifying students are concerned with basic needs provided by the college.

“A handful of student parents cited that they learned about basic needs resources in class from faculty members, in their course syllabi, and or on social media. However, multiple students said increased clarity and communication around the services and resources available to students who are parents is warranted,” read the survey. 

The review also examined that not all students or employees, especially parents, have stable access to the internet or time to research what Delta offers to those in need.

For basic needs, the survey focused on  things such as food, housing, transportation and child or dependent care.

“Of the students surveyed, 30 percent had concerns about transportation, 22 percent were concerned with access to adequate food, 20 percent expressed concern with stable housing, 10 percent of students indicated concerns about their access to child/dependent care and 4 percent indicated concerns about having a computer,” according to the results

According to demographic breakdowns, African American/Black students surveyed were the most anxious about information to support their needs, leading the research groups with 37 percent in transportation, 35 percent in accessible food, 29 percent concerned with stable housing and 14 percent concerned with child care. 

Other groups found support with specific groups or organizations on campus.

“Specific to Hispanic/Latinx students, focus group participants noted how the Puente Program led them to other available resources on campus, like EOPS…multiple students in the LGBTQ+ focus groups specifically referenced the benefits of Delta Pride Center, revealing that they felt protected in this safe space,” read the survey report.

However, in the footnote it read that, “the demographics of those who have the capacity to participate in a focus group may differ from those who are facing significant basic needs and insecurities.” 

Next, the employees were asked if they had concerns over access to transportation, ability to access ample food, housing stability, and access to child or dependent care.

“Overall rates of concern regarding basic needs were relatively low, with 10 percent of respondents expressing concerns about access to child/dependent care, 9 percent expressing concerns about housing stability, 8 percent expressing concerns about access to transportation, and 6 percent expressing concerns about the ability to access food,” read the survey.

Demographic differences were pointed out from these results specifically that African American/Black employees, compared to other ethnic groups, and short term employees were more worried about their housing.

The biggest concern for employees at Delta, according to the survey, was child/dependent care.

“Employee parents across focus groups noted that they were not having their basic needs met, specifically around childcare. The Delta Early Education and Childcare Center (i.e.Campus Hazel Child Development Center) is a state-funded preschool program that is income based, which disqualifies working families at Delta who earn over a certain dollar amount,” read the review.

Because of the schooling issue and not being able to use the same resources as the students with the child care center here at Delta, participants in the focus group shared that Delta “discriminates against working parents with childcare/pick-up responsibilities by excluding such employees from the shared governance process,” read the study.

The survey included solutions that have already been directed toward attendees and employees naming,“CalWORKS, Community Medical Center (CMC), Extended Opportunity Programs and Services (EOPS), financial aid, food pantry, mental health counseling, the Pride Center and the Puente Program.”

As well as an action plan to help improve the basic needs for employees and students “Offer grocery store vouchers, possibly $10 for markets around town (e.g., the 99 Cent Store). Provide more publication about what housing support looks like and how to navigate it at Delta. Increase resources directed at first-generation students, student parents, online students and other marginalized populations to help them with registering for classes, making an education plan, accessing basic needs resources, mid-semester check-ins etc.”

For employees in need of assistance now, search for “Employees Wellness Resources” in the search bar on the Delta college website where you can access different links for things such as Safety Resources, Crisis Resources, Employee Benefits, Community Wellness that offers on and off campus resources, Diverse Population Resources that gives “various resources for BIPOC, LGBTQIA+, People with Disabilities, Veterans, Caregivers and other diverse groups on campus.”

For students who are in need of support now and need to take action the Basic Needs center is located in Danner 202. 

Here they offer services such as the Student Food Pantry, free laundry services, free bus transportation, information on housing assistance, assistance with books, school supplies and hygiene items. 

The Basic Needs center can also assist in setting up a health service (dental, mental and physical care) and a CalFresh appointment with an ambassador for food “awards eligible students up to $281 per month for groceries,” according to the Basic Needs tab on the Delta College website.

There are also many special services and programs offered here at Delta under the Services tab on the Delta website where you can find a multitude of resources.

EOPS And CARE that offer a “variety of free support services and benefits for low income or educationally disadvantaged students.” 

CalWORKs that give “services and assistance in completing Welfare-to-Work requirements and becoming self-sufficient.” 

Delta’s Disability Support Programs & Services offering “A variety of services and accommodations for students with a disability.”

Empowerment Resource Programs that “Support former foster youth, students who were formerly incarcerated, and students who are homeless and housing insecure.”

Delta’s Veterans Resource Center that has “A wide array of services and resources to our student veterans and military/veteran-connected family members.”

Undocumented Students Resources where students and their families can find “Information, resources, and a confidential community for students and families who are undocumented to pursue higher education.”

As well as the Early College Pathway which was “Designed to help high school students earn a two-year degree. Cohort-style learning, including a pattern of courses, all while reducing the stress of the college experience.”