In response to COVID-19 at Delta College, the administration on campus was looking for ways to help students connect and find easier ways to access help with mental and physical wellness, but from a safe distance. Unfortunately, the magazine was not put to use as much when coming back to campus and lightly used as a support tool for students.

“The Campus Well” was proposed by Professor Heather Bradford, who also acts as a counselor, and advisor to Active Minds, after the school received the mental health grant from the chancellor’s office, to introduce the online magazine dedicated to Delta students.

“We looked (sic) into getting a subscription to Campus Well. We didn’t have the student health center and a lot of the work we were doing with students and their personal issues they were having, we wanted to connect them to resources that were on and off campus,” said Bradford.

The magazine is available nationally for any universities or community colleges to subscribe to. It is customized by a board of students who pick and choose topics that relate to the student population’s lives. 

“The Campus Well” contains tips on nutrition, mental health, personal finance, and more. The website has the standard topics for students with links to different articles that have been backed up by professionals on the Campus Well staff.

“Mind, body, mental wellness, money, relationships, food all these things are built into the website…They have professional doctors, nutritionists, therapists, psychiatrists, and other professionals that are a part of the professional board of advisors, so all the articles on Campus are validated,” said Bradford.

“During the pandemic and when it first rolled out we were a little more hands-on with it, but as we came back to campus and adjusting back to campus life on campus and counselors trying to realign themselves, we are going to be thinking about how to utilize this platform more… More content on there that is customized and also to get more announcements put out through our social media, where it’s in front of them,” said Bradford.

Also moving forward Bradford and Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Breitler wants to “encourage students to utilize these types of resources because we know how important health and wellness is when times are stressful, and we want to make sure students have support outside the classroom so that they can succeed inside the classroom,” said Breitler in an email interview.

The magazine also offers an incentive if you read one article a week, subscribe, and fill out a survey offers you a chance to win a 50-dollar gift card to Amazon. Students can also submit story ideas, give feedback, and submit videos.

Link to https://deltacollege.edu/department/health-wellness

Link to https://deltacollege.campuswell.com/