Great tree debate: When is the perfect time to Deck the Halls?

353
0

‘Tis the season for festive debates as households throughout Stockton grapple with the unending question: When is the right time to put up the Christmas tree? 

As calendars flip to December, the annual tradition of adorning homes with twinkling lights and ornaments comes into focus, but opinions on the ideal timing vary. 

For the early birds, the first day after Thanksgiving marks the green light to unleash the holiday spirit. 

“The sooner the tree goes up, the more time there is to revel in the magic of the season with my family,” said festive enthusiasts officer Perry Prach of Delta College.

On the flip side, traditionalists such as Tiffany Roberts, a criminal justice major at Delta, advocate for a more measured approach. 

Waiting until mid-December to deck the halls of her family home, “preserves the joy of the Christmas season and prevents holiday burnout.”

“Our family sometimes does two thanksgiving gatherings, so mid-December also gives us time to clean and prepare for Christmas,” said Roberts. 

Then there are those who aren’t too keen on the Christmas holiday and its great tree debate.

“I’m not huge on Christmas decorations, so we don’t put much up. But, the Christmas tree usually goes up the 2nd weekend of December and down by the second weekend of New Year,” said Jan Marlese, Delta’s art gallery coordinator. 

In the end, the question of when to put up the Christmas tree is as diverse as the ornaments that hang from its branches.