‘Feliz Fiesta’ event offers festive study break

426
0

On Dec. 6, the Puente/Latinx Center in Shima 133 came alive with the vibrant spirit of Feliz Fiesta during a study break event.

From 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m., students, staff, and faculty gathered to partake in the festivities, sipping on cups of coffee, hot cocoa, or tea while indulging in sweet snacks. 

The event, named “Feliz Fiestas Study Break,” provided a welcome respite from the demands of academia, fostering a sense of community and camaraderie on campus. 

Co-sponsored by the Chicanx Latine Faculty Task Force and Puente, the event showcased the collaboration of these organizations in creating an inclusive and celebratory space for all attendees. 

As students took a break from their studies, the air in the Puente/Latinx Center buzzed with lively conversations, laughter and Christmas jingles playing in the background. 

Delta Students Eliana Hernandez and Sofia Abarca-Rojo sang along to Mariah Carey’s “All I Want For Christmas,” while some looked on smiling, and others joined in. 

When asked what they enjoyed most from the event, Hernandez said “Surrounding myself with friends just to hang out for a bit is refreshing, especially now that the semester is ending.” 

Abarca-Rojo chimed in and blurted “Finally!” 

“Fall semester feels so long, it feels good to laugh and sing with friends right now,” said Abarca-Rojo.

It was around 1pm when the Puente/Latinx Center began to flood with students and faculty. You could hear the enjoyment and laughter amongst friends as they entered. 

Puente provided refreshments, but also offered a welcoming environment encouraging connections among the diverse members of the college community. 

“These events help to encourage more people to drop by and learn more about Puente. Here at the Puente/Latinx Center, we offer everyone a safe space to study, unwind, and indulge in snacks,” said Delta College Mexican American History Professor Dr. Sarah Seekatz,.

Seekatz said more events are to come.

“We actually host more collaborating, creative events such as Día de los Muertos during Latinx

Heritage Month in September and October … but events such as Feliz Fiesta allow us to keep our Puente community alive and invite in others to learn more about us,” she said.

Puente’s collaboration with The Chicanx Latine Faculty Task Force’s help, added an extra layer of cultural richness to the event, allowing attendees to immerse themselves in the vibrant traditions of Feliz Fiesta.