Chancellor teleconference looks at status of system

155
0

On Feb. 14, California Community Colleges’ Chancellor Dr. Sonya Christian hosted a teleconference on topics currently impacting the system for the month of February. Christian addressed three central topics during the hour-long meeting: Black History Month, Career Education Month and system enrollment.

BLACK HISTORY MONTH

Christian recognized Black History Month. 

“This month broadens the understanding of black history and culture and honors the achievement of African Americans throughout history. And pays tribute to the generations of African Americans who struggled to achieve equality, freedom, the right to vote, full US. Citizenship and more,” Christian said. “Our community colleges across the State are honoring black history month with numerous campus events.”

Christian talked about a new initiative called “Educate. Elevate.” That looks to increase student success for Black and African American students.

“Educate. Elevate” is a podcast launched as part of the “I can go to college” campaign aims to inspire current and prospective Black and African American students, with emphasis on Black males enrolling in community colleges.

“We especially are hoping to reach Black males with this effort as this population, as has had a significant enrollment decline, is part of an expansive effort to illustrate how California’s community colleges are empowering the next generation of Black leaders,” said Christian.

The link for “Educate. Elevate.” is bit.ly/educateelevatepodcast

CAREER EDUCATION MONTH

Christian also discussed Career Technical Education Month, which is also in February.

“We have a great variety of career technical programs, for in demand jobs in competitive and also in emerging industries. For example, community colleges offer various certificates in artificial intelligence Mount SAC offers a certificate in artificial intelligence and business,” said Christian.

ENROLLMENT 

“Enrollments are really up,” said Christian.

Christian said in a previous call she noted there were 1.9 million students in the California community system. The number is now above 2 million.

“California’s increase in the Community College enrollment has actually surpassed the rest of the country,” Christian said.“So when you take the California community colleges, we represent about 20 percent of the nation’s community college student enrollments.” 

Christian added that when considering data for Fall 2023, the growth numbers mean the system is responsible for more than half of the nation’s growth in community college enrollments.

Christian addressed parts of Vision 2030, the chancellor’s office future plan that looks to equity through people, resources, systems and policy. She addressed infrastructure and sustainability, but also talked about adult learners and how to support students who may not be full time.

“The short term Pell is extremely critical for these students and Vision 2030,” said Christian. “We call out the 6.8 million who are in low income jobs and don’t see a possibility for economic mobility. So the California community colleges, we can take short-term training to these individuals. And with the short term Pell, it’s gonna be absolutely fantastic.”