Mustangs overcome nightmare second inning for the win over Cabrillo

134
0

After starting the season a very solid four and one the Mustangs would lose four straight, but the Mustangs were looking to snap that losing streak against Cabrillo. 

“We need to work on things,,” coach Reed Peters said before the game. “We need to work on our defense, we need our pitchers to finish games, but our depth is really solid.” 

And this game ended up being a microcosm of the Mustangs season so far, with sloppy defense such as errors and misread plays and pitchers struggling to close out innings, but good offense and depth coming in to play to help lead the Mustangs to victory. 

This game couldn’t have started any worse, with Cabrillo scoring seven runs in the second inning with struggling pitching and simple mistakes being made. After that second inning however, the Mustangs started to fight back.

“Those first two innings we’ve been playing like we usually do,” Peters said after the game. “But after that the team really stepped up.”

With a single leading to the Mustangs first run, then a three run home run cutting Cabrillos lead to three. With another run in the third inching the Mustangs back into the game, everything shifted towards the Mustangs in the fourth inning with a second three run home run and a run batted in putting the Mustangs up nine to seven by the fifth inning, and the Mustangs never losing the lead after that.

But Cabrillo never gave up, tying the game at 9 in the fifth. Then right after the Mustangs would score four more runs in the bottom of the fifth. And to seal the game the Mustangs would score one more run with another run batted in and with no team scoring after the sixth inning the final score would be 14 to 9.