Delta may soon offer expanded access to lactation ‘pods’

200
0

Delta will likely soon be receiving lactation rooms for breastfeeding students and faculty to have a private area. The Facilities Committee has approved the purchase of five lactation rooms: three on the main campus, one for the Mountain House campus, and one for the Manteca.

“We are still in the planning stages of this project so the process for access to the pods is still in its infancy stages,” said Vice President of Student Services Lonita Cordova.

According to the California Education Code Section 66271.9, California Community Colleges shall provide, “…reasonable accommodations on their respective campuses for a lactating student to express breast milk, breast-feed an infant child, or address other needs related to breastfeeding.” 

This includes having a clean and private facility other than a bathroom and access to a power source for a pump machine.

The lactation rooms have been purchased by Mamava. The rooms, or ‘pods’ will be able to be located through a downloadable app. To access the pods, students will have to receive permission from a department in Student Services, and faculty will have to receive permission from Human Resources.

All of the pods will be located indoors. Danner Hall will likely be the location of a wheelchair accessible pod. The rest will be individual pods. The current single lactation space is in the Child Development Center.