Broken pipe forces Workforce Development Center to move

346
0
A sign on the door of Shima 217 directs students away from the Career Education and Workforce Development Center on March 7, 2024. Several campus programs that connect students to the workforce have been temporarily scattered throughout campus as a result of the flood-related closure. COLLEGIAN PHOTO

On Feb. 27, Delta’s CTE and Workforce Development Center had to move its location temporarily due to a flood caused by a broken hot water line. 

“One of the [braided] hot water lines at the back of the HVAC Mechanical unit in Shima 217 broke, causing hot water to flood the shaft, and several rooms,” said Director of Facilities, Planning and Management, Stacy Pinola via email. 

The flood affected multiple rooms in the Shima building, but did not cause significant damage. 

“Thankfully, the break happened shortly before staff arrived and we were able to get the water stopped.  The majority of the damage is in the shaft from the third floor down to the first floor.  The rooms affected are Shima 306, Shima 217, Shima 114 and Shima 109.  The majority of the rooms just had carpet damage, whereas Shima 114 had ceiling and cabinet damage along with the floor,” said Pinola. 

Facilities and maintenance staff got to work in order to begin repairs after flooding had been stopped. 

“The braided line break caused hot water to soak the sheetrock and insulation in the shaft of the three rooms.  The equipment was removed so that the contractor can get the wet material to be removed and new materials installed.  The HVAC equipment will then be put back into place,” said Pinola. 

Workforce Development Center (WDC) staff have temporarily moved their services from Shima 217 to Shima 227. 

“All in-person workshops, presentations and student appointments/walk-ins will continue to be available to students with WDC staff members. Students can also still meet with staff via Zoom for services.  Services to include career exploration, resume development and cover letter review, job placement including internships, JobSpeaker assistance, and employer networking,” said Michelle Castanon, Workforce Development Center program manager.

Worknet and DARTE staff who also work in Shima 217 have also moved their services to alternative locations. 

“San Joaquin County WorkNet is currently seeing students at their main location of 6221 West Lane, Stockton 95210. Students seeking assistance with DARTE (Adult Education) will meet with the CTE Resource Specialist in the Delta Connect Center (DCC) which was also provided prior to the flooding by appointment,” said Castanon.

Staff is predicted to be returning to Shima 217 in 30 days. 

Delta needs consistent heating and cooling, meaning that there are many HVAC units throughout campus. Due to the similarities of these units, there is a possibility that an issue like this can occur again. 

“We have 362 HVAC units throughout the campus that have the same braided lines.  Facilities is working on a plan to replace the lines to prevent any future issues, starting with the Shima building,” said Pinola.