Megan Cisneros of the CA Department of Fish and Wildlife speaks with job and internship attendees. PHOTO BY ZACKARY KIRK-NEWTON

On April 11, the annual Job and internship fair was held at the Marcopulos Gym. The event represents an opportunity for students and community members alike to come and find employment opportunities.

The Marcopulos gym buzzed with activity and brimmed with noise as pleasantries were exchanged alongside resumes. In a world dominated by job listing websites, the environment was one tinged with a great deal more optimism.

“I was applying for some behavior technician positions so that definitely piqued my interest,“ said Dereck Hanan, a student at Delta College. Hanan was eager to utilize the services provided at the event “I got a few resumes out there and I turned in a few applications so I’m looking forward to hearing from some people soon.” 
“We’re looking at potential jobs in the future,” said Ashlee Gifford, a psychology student. Gifford had taken particular interest in the probation officer booths that were there. “I did a lot of work at the homeless shelters, so probation seems like a good fit.”

Presenters were happy to be able to introduce students to new career and internship opportunities.

“We’re recruiting for game warden cadets,”said  Megan Cisneros, who was at the event on behalf of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife. “This is my first time being here but we just established our recruitment program with CDFW’s law enforcement division, so I hope to be coming more often.”

Even Delta College had presenters on their behalf at the event.

“This is our second time here,” said Reina Pascua, a human resource specialist at Delta College. “We find a lot of enthusiastic people and we also kind of help candidates, kind of like navigate through the different websites.”

“Last year we were going through a new system, so it was a bit of a trial to guide candidates,” she said.