Delta reinstates parking permits, considers health fee

78
0

As fall semester begins parking permits will be reinstated and a health service fee through the state chancellor’s office will be considered at a Board of Trustees meeting Tuesday May 7. 

Permits are $30 per semester, summer semester passes are $20 and there will be daily passes available located in parking lot kiosks. 

“I think compared to other institutions across the region and Northern California it’s reasonable,” said Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Breitler. 

During COVID parking permits were put on a temporary suspension due to the campus lockdown and low enrollment.    

“We’ve seen a rebound in our enrollment levels and the college is basically very close to precovid enrollment… that’s part of the equation as well, there’s more use of the lots and maintenance issues start to spring up,” said Breitler.   

Prior to COVID, permits were purchased from the Delta book store. Now permits will be purchased from the Parking Management Bureau (PMB) at pmbonline.org.

The permits purchased from Parking Management Bureau on pmbonline.org will be mailed to a student’s house with a temporary pass while the permit ships.  

District Police Officer Chief Robert DiPiero mentioned that the pricing compared to the previous semester is still the same.

“Pricing is still the same…Sgt. Doty is working on getting the link for that,” said DiPiero. 

Breitler says that the website should be up and ready by the time this semester ends. 

The money spent on parking permits goes directly into improving the campus parking lot as well as maintenance and school security. 

“Parking lots at community parking lots have to be maintained with district funds…our college policy actually requires us to issue parking permits…,” said Breitler.  

Most California colleges use pmbonline.org for parking permits.

Parking fines are to be paid via PMB as well. If a fine is paid then a dispute is no longer an option. 

According to be pbmonline.org, PMB is not responsible for disputes. The enforcement agency will be the ones reviewing all disputes and determining their eligibility. 

Disputes for parking violations must be submitted within the first 21 days of receiving a citation, or 14 days from the mailing date on the delinquency notice. 

The enforcement agency will review and determine a dispute’s viability within 21 days of a submission. If one fails to comply within the allotted time frame to repeal a violation, a dispute will be voided and the ticket cost plus any late fees must be paid. 

Students will have a two-week grace period at the start of the semester before permits become mandatory on Monday through Friday.

Parking is free on weekends, and semester breaks. 

After the grace period “No permit” parking violations will be $33; enforced by Student Service Officers. 

“Student Service Officers along with Campus Safety Officers will be doing parking enforcement…the bay area colleges are more expensive,” said DiPero.  

Financial aid will help students who receive California Promise Grant (formerly known as the BOG waiver).

“Financial Assistance Promise Grant, is there for somebody who needs help in terms of paying for parking,” said DiPiero

A $26 health service is on the agenda for the Board of Trustees meeting Tuesday, May 7 and will be co-presented by The Associated Students of Delta College. 

“No decision has been made yet…but we will know more after Tuesday,” said Breitler.   

According to Breitler the fee is being considered due to a rise in student health services.

“We’re one of the only colleges that actually doesn’t have a health fee and that’s a concern because demand for services is really high, especially on the mental health side of things. We’re seeing a lot of need in that area,” said Breitler.  

Delta is one of five existing Calif. colleges that does not require a health service fee. 

With these newly added funds Delta could have the potential to hire a Director of Health and Wellness, more mental health practitioners, as the need for mental health aid from students is very high. The hours of operation for services is also being considered for expansion.

It is likely that these services could expand to Mountain House campus as well. 

Students who are dependent on prayer for healing are exempt from paying the fee, and the dismissal extends to students under an approved apprenticeship training program.