ASUOP cuts funding for the Pacifican newspaper

44
0
Digital archive of the Pacifican newspaper 1967 issue from the University of Pacific Library, University Archives

The University of Pacific’s student government (ASUOP) cut funding to their student newspaper, the Pacifican.

On April 22, the Pacifican’s editor-in-chief, Zak Baker, posted an article titled “The Post-Apocalypse,” explaining about ASUOP budget cuts, along with links to the article. Annually, the student government budget allocation reports that the Pacifican newspaper ($15,000) and Tiger Radio station broadcasting ($13,000) was cut.

ASUOP organizes Tigerlands every year. This past April, rapper artist Doechii was the main headliner. According to her booking site, the artist costs anywhere between $75,000 to $150,000. Event’s funding was set at $190,000. 

The Pacifican has been an established newspaper since 1908. However, the origins of the university’s student newspaper date back earlier than that. 

The University of Pacific was the first university in California in 1851, it was originally opened in Santa Clara and then eventually moved to San Jose in 1871. By 1885, the first student publication was called the Hatchet. 

By 1886, the newspaper was changed to the Pacific Pharos. In the fall of 1909, the newspaper was changed to the Pacific Weekly, and by 1924 the university moved to Stockton. 

By 1967, the newspaper was changed to The Pacifican. During that time, the paper reports from the first meeting of the student radio station (KUOP), to the best school supplies, and suggesting the best places to go in Stockton. The paper kept students informed about on and off campus activities. 

The Pacifican has been part of the institution for 116 years. So what changed? 

Graduated Delta student Megan Silva transferred to the Pacific in August of 2023. By November, she became the Pacifican’s social media and website editor. 

“It’s my first year, so I was really excited to report on the news in Stockton. At the very end of spring break, our editor in chief just tells us [news staff], ‘Hey, by the way, we don’t have funding from our student government anymore’… We’re coming back from the pandemic, we just did our first print issue in four years,” said Silva. 

ASUOP website has not updated recent agendas or documents of budget allocations. However, Senate meetings are held every Monday on Pacific’s campus and are open to the public and students. They have meeting recordings online, but are only accessible with permission. ASUOP also has cabinet meetings, but they are closed to the public. There are no documents or recordings kept regarding the discussions. 

The Collegian reached out to ASUOP and their Director of Finance through email multiple times. Director of Academic Affairs, Haoyun (Youyou) Xu responded.

“Truthfully, I do not know who could explain the budget cuts, nor am I qualified to explain where these cuts originated from,” read Xu’s response. “Therefore, I cannot tell you what I do know about the Pacifican and its budget, because I am not the related authority.”

There have been many college student newspapers that have been under the budget chopping block. In June 2023, Penn State’s newspaper, the Daily Collegian, was cut funding by the board of trustees. That newspaper has been around for 136 years. Recently in April 2024, Rowan University’s student newspaper, The Whit, was also cut by their student government. The newspaper has been around since 1938. 

“When you lose your student newspaper, you lose a vital resource of storytelling and narrative of your student body,” said Tara Cuslidge-Staiano, adviser for The Collegian. “This experience also helps students build newspapers and make news judgment calls.”

Newspaper production in general has been under fire for years. But as college students learning how to design a newspaper is important. The younger generation doesn’t even know how to open a newspaper, let alone fold it. We shouldn’t let newsprint become obsolete. Newspapers have been around since 1605, it’s the oldest physical form of news. Whatever is going on in the world, it keeps the public informed, engaged, and relieved. 

The Collegian supports all student newspapers. We want to advocate for the student journalists who are being cut by institutional entities that don’t support the students’ creativity and experiences.