Actions to protect Earth can’t be limited to a single day

1858
0

Earth Day is around the corner, allowing us to take a day to demonstrate support for environmental problems, like pollution and deforestation, on April 22.  It’s also a day to appreciate everything Mother Nature has provided for us. 

This global holiday has been ongoing since 1970, but have people really taken the time to celebrate it on this specific day every year? 

When discussing if and how Earth Day is commonly celebrated, many people and students admitted to not celebrating it, pretty much ever. 

“I’d like to say it’s important, but I mean obviously most people don’t really care to celebrate it,” said Jarvis Alcantara, the student representative on Delta’s board of trustees. “And you know, it could always use more recognition.” 

Perhaps if Earth Day was not just limited to a single day, more people would take it seriously and our environment would be in better condition. 

“I think it should be more than a day, honestly. There should be something like a green awareness month because no one really knows about it sometimes,” Alcantara said. 

At this point in time, it is no secret that our Earth is slowly deteriorating due to environmental issues such as air pollution. It is not always obvious, but every day there are small factors that humans partake in which contribute to environmental problems. 

Driving cars, not recycling, littering, using electricity, and even simple things like using paper, brushing your teeth or showering, are some basic examples of factors that feed into the deterioration of this planet we call home. 

“With time our planet is getting polluted and it’s irreversible at this point, so I really think that everyone should participate on this day to get an idea of things we can do to prevent environmental issues,” said Osiel Najera, Delta student and Earth Day advocate.

So what are some ways in which we can start caring for Earth everyday?

Walk, ride a bike, carpool, etc.: 

Avoid driving your car around as much as possible! Go for any natural alternatives instead like walking or skateboarding. According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), motor vehicles burn and release carbon dioxide (a greenhouse gas) when in use. The buildup of such gasses going into the air is causing the Earth’s atmosphere to slowly become warmer everyday, thus resulting in climate change. 

Pick up any trash laying where it doesn’t belong:

Littering is an obvious environmental offense, yet some people still carelessly do it. If you see trash laying around, do Mother Nature a favor and pick it up! Trash can easily be blown by the wind into bodies of water like oceans, rivers and lakes, eventually causing pollution to waterway environments. 

Najera partakes in this helpful action. 

“During the morning on Earth Day I like to go around my block and collect any trash that I see,” said Najera. 

Recycle: 

This might be one of the more obvious ways in which people lend a helping hand to the environment. If you don’t already recycle, it’s never too late to start! According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) in a 2021 Recycling Economic Information Report, some environmental benefits of recycling include reducing the amount of waste sent to landfills, conserving natural resources and preventing pollution by reducing the need to collect new raw materials. 

Here are a couple upcoming local events highlighting Earth Day:

Tracy Earth Day 2022 at Downtown Tracy Farmers Market

Saturday, April 23

Presented by Tracy Earth Project, INC and the City of Tracy, join the celebration of Earth Day at this educational, informative and fun filled family event. It will include a Bike Rodeo, tree planting, sidewalk chalk art and much more. For more information visit allevents.in/tracy/tracy-earth-day-2022-come-learn-how-we-can-help-our-planet-earth

Earth Day Festival at Victory Park, Stockton

Sunday, April 24 

Sponsored by the Organizing Committee of Earth Day Festival Stockton, this is the 33rd annual festival celebration of Earth Day. This festival will include yoga on the park, entertainment with music and dance and a march for science. For more information and the full schedule visit earthdaystockton.com