Delta makes it easy for students to eat healthy

1584
0

College students are notorious for their terrible eating habits. 

Whether that be eating some unbearably sugar-filled cereal or boiling top ramen which contains too much sodium to consume on a regular basis.

Sadly, food options like these are often seen as the only reasonable option in many students’ eyes because they are cheap and easy compared to buying groceries and cooking on your own. 

But Delta does have a few programs designed to help students eat healthily for very little cost. 

The Student Food Pantry, located in Shima 101, provides food to those who are in need of it and are currently enrolled. 

On top of the food pantry, Delta also offers the CalFresh program to students, in which students must apply and meet the requirements to be eligible to earn up to $234 a month for groceries. 

“CalFresh is designed to help anyone eligible receive money to purchase healthy and nutritious food,” said Delainey Bright, CalFresh ambassador and student body representative. “Students should take advantage of helping combat food insecurity and have peace of mind when it comes to the basic necessities of life.” 

Now the only difficulty is actually getting yourself to cook something, which is embarrassing to say but for some, cooking is a daunting and terrifying task. 

Luckily there are a few simple and almost foolproof meal ideas out there.

Eggs are a simple and versatile breakfast food, but the FDA recommends only eating one a day as they are high in fat and cholesterol. 

For breakfast, the FDA recommends Greek yogurt with fruits and nuts, which is extremely simple as there is very little prep or clean up. 

A simple food to make is pasta, as the process of making it is straightforward and yet it’s still versatile and can be made into many different meals. 

Make pasta with Alfredo sauce and chicken and it’s chicken Alfredo, but make that same pasta with a tomato based sauce and sausage and it’s spaghetti. 

More info about the food pantry and CalFresh program can be found on Delta’s website at https://deltacollege.edu/student-life/office-student-activities/student-food-pantry