A matter of pronoun

1808
0

Delta provides resources for students to use preferred monikers at institution

Have you noticed on Canvas you see she/her, he/him and they/them beside people’s names? 

The proper term is gender pronouns and that’s another way to identify them other than using their name. 

Gender pronouns aren’t about sexuality such as gay, straight or bisexual. Pronouns have more to do with how we identify ourselves to the world. 

“We do it almost without thinking. Because names and pronouns are the two ways people call and refer to others, they are personal and important. They are also key facets of our identity,“ according to the New York-based Anti-Defamation League.  

For example Ariana “Kit” Jaekel identifies as she/her and happens to be bisexual “she’s 100 percent valid behind all the different pronouns.” 

The pronouns don’t define her connection to her sexual orientation. She notes that she stands “

with the LGBTQ+ community and couldn’t be happier.”

Some simply use he/him as their gender pronoun as Keshif Ahmed does. 

“I’m exploring his opportunities in life, meeting new friends and I’m ready to announce who I am to the world,” Ahmed said.

We still have to understand that not everyone is ready to come out for a variety of reasons, with issues from family, or being scared of social or religious persecution. 

Delta College allows students to select pronouns in Canvas. Users can choose between the following options:

• None
  • She/Her/Hers
  • He/Him/His
  • They/Them/Their/Theirs
  • Ze/Hir/Hirs

In addition, Delta supports its students by allowing “preferred names” in lieu of birth-certificate listed names. A “preferred name is a name a student wishes to be known by at San Joaquin Delta College that is different from the student’s legal name,” according to the Delta College website.

Preferred names and pronouns can be different from a person’s birth identity.

Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Breitler said Delta College works to an “inclusive” place for all who come here.

“At Delta College we support all of our students and employees and definitely want to create as inviting and as inclusive an environment as we possibly can,” said Breitler. “That certainly includes being mindful of the preferred pronouns for both students and employees. Some employees, for example, include their preferred pronouns in their email taglines so that folks are aware of what the appropriate pronouns are and can use them when addressing that person. We encourage everyone to be aware of preferred pronouns and to use them as a sign of respect for every member of our college family.”

Delta also offers help in counseling, a safe place to study and meet new people in the same position as they are in. 

So if you feel as if you’re all alone and don’t have anyone to talk to you can reach out to the pride center and get the help you’re looking for. The Pride Center is located on the second floor of Danner Hall in room 202B and can be reached by telephone at (209) 954-5260. In-person and virtual appointments are also available.