Entering Halloween season with fair fun

1050
0
A game of cornhole with a Halloween twist at the Manteca Pumpkin Fair. PHOTO BY LEO LORENTZON

The spooky season has finally begun, as events like the Manteca Pumpkin Fair start to kick off. The 37th annual Manteca Pumpkin Fair was held Saturday, Oct. 1 and Sunday, Oct. 2 in downtown Manteca, bringing two days of fun for all ages.

Visitors to the fair could check out a tractor show on Saturday and cruise the street to see the extensive car show on Sunday. 

Live bands played on main and community stages, surrounding visitors with good tunes throughout the fair. Stockton local classic rock band Network took the stage at 2 p.m. Saturday. The Mike Torres Band took the stage at 2 p.m. Sunday, filling the dance floor. 

Activities filled the fair, providing the opportunity to make memories with family and friends, or to meet new people. 

The Manteca Fire Department visits the fair. PHOTO BY LEO LORENTZON

“It’s really getting out, it’s getting exercise, it’s talking with other people, and that’s important,” said vendor Rose Flores Alcaraz of Soaps Creams and Things.

The event brings the community together.

“It’s a fun couple of days, you get to meet a lot of great people,” said Cyndie Bell of BC Bell Financial Solutions.

Kids were entertained with a multitude of activities; a rock wall, painting, carnival games, a kids zone complete with corn hole, and even a miniature train to ride. 

No matter dietary needs, there were food options for everyone. Visitors could find fair staples such as garlic fries, hot dogs, funnel cake, mangonada, and lemonade. For visitors over 21, there was a beer garden and vendors selling alcoholic beverages. 

Vendors filled the fair. You could find stuffed animals and novelty toys, handmade items such as jewelry, candles and soap, but most importantly you could find the fruit of the season: pumpkins.

“I think as a vendor there are a lot of great people here looking to spend their money and I think as a shopper there’s a lot of great vendors here, a lot of variety and some really cool things to check out,” said vendor Kayla Roslan of Sparks Fly Candle Co. 

“This show in specific, I feel like it is very good at having different vendors every year,” said vendor Shelby Fletcher of Scentsy.

There were also informational booths, using the fair as an opportunity to inform the public about services or organizations they had access to. 

“It is exposure to the community, to let people know what we do, to help families, and to just get our name out there,” said Bell. “The more people that see your name, that see your face, the more they trust you, so then they’re more willing to open themselves up and see what you actually can do for them.”

The weekend was undoubtedly filled with smiles, laughs, and a sense of community among both Manteca residents and visitors from the surrounding San Joaquin County.