Halloween ends… hopefully

745
0

When you think of the best horror movie of all time, many would say Halloween. The movie has grown to be an iconic staple of the slasher and horror genres, however many of the franchise’s additions are not regarded in nearly the same light. 

With yet another “Halloween” installment released on Oct. 14, will fans finally see the end of Michael Myers in “Halloween Ends”?

It may seem clear that some of the Halloween installments were produced not necessarily out of the love for film, but rather the love for the money the films were bound to bring in. The franchise’s recent switch to the free streaming platform Peacock with “Halloween Kills” and “Halloween Ends” may on the surface level seem to be to the benefit of the fan rather than the studio, but this isn’t necessarily the case. 

According to ‘TheNumbers.com”, 2018’s Halloween and 2021’s “Halloween Kills” surpassed the original Halloween in box office sales, making more than $255 million and more than $130 million in worldwide box office sales respectively, while “Halloween” made more than $70 million.

Mediocre remakes and reboots aren’t uncommon in the film industry, especially within the horror genre. We can see this with countless installments, remakes and even crossovers within franchises like “Scream,” “Friday the Thirteenth” and “Nightmare on Elm Street.” Studios capitalize on cult followings and devout fans by giving them cheap thrills, often taking advantage of genuine emotions.

“Halloween” is still so popular today because fans resonate with Jamie Lee Curtis’ portrayal of the strong and persevering Laurie Strode. 

Fans also saw Michael Myers as representative of their own monsters; the original Halloween portrayed Myers as human, but franchise installments and the horror genre rule of “the monster always comes back” has made Myers into an otherworldly, and likely immortal, being.

Michael Myers had been stabbed, shot six times in “Halloween II” alone, and even set on fire, at what point do we as fans become desensitized to predictable and unnecessary violence? 

John Carpenter’s 1987 “Halloween” was a hit because it was filled with genuine suspense, rather than solely fx and gore. 

In reality, many of the Halloween installments would be regarded with much less scrutiny if they were stand-alone films, it is their connection to a franchise that creates heated debates among fans; actions in one film have the power to change the lore of past films and the trajectory of new ones.

The increasingly common reboots of slasher genre franchises may signal the death of the genre itself. New movies are being made to cater to the newer generations of fans and moviegoers, but it is quite possible that this new generation doesn’t have an interest in the tiered slasher trope. Maybe it’s time to put many of these franchises to rest, instead of attempting to create closure for the fan. 

The genre of horror is expanding, diversifying, and pushing new boundaries, maybe monsters like Michael Myer do not have a place in this new age of horror. Though Michael Myers remains one of the kings of Halloween frights, this latest franchise installment has many fans hoping that the movie’s title comes to fruition.