Delta needs yearbooks to preserve memories

418
0

Yearbooks are a way of remembering the school year and bonding with your peers when discussing your summer plans while signing each other’s yearbooks.

While yearbooks seem to be only for high schools, some universities and community colleges have them. 

Delta College, once known as Stockton College, hasn’t had a yearbook since 1957 called the “El Recuerdo‘’ according to the library’s online archives. Most of the yearbooks in Delta’s past are from the Stockton College period of its history.

Delta’s first yearbook was made in 1936 called the “Naranjado,” which lasted until 1949 under College of the Pacific and Stockton College.

In the 1950s, Delta’s yearbook was called “Yearling” being the only year with that name for the book.

“El Recuerdo” lasted 7 years and was one of the last yearbooks to be made at Delta.

The books included pictures of the administration, faculty and students while showcasing the then campus. Activities and classes are also shown as well as the staff who created the yearbook which are the students.

Considering Delta has about more than 15,000 students compared to more than 60 years ago, I get why making a yearbook would be a hassle.

If Delta were to have a yearbook, it would be a great way for Delta College Alumni to show their kids their college or for a way for them to reflect on what once was.

“I would like Delta to have yearbooks,” Delta College Student, Michelle Rivero said. “It’s a good way to look back on the good memories of the school year and input photos from the events and help involve the students more.”

I think it would be a great idea for Delta to provide at least a custom yearbook made for individuals that includes their picture, name and major as well as those that are in the same major as they are.

For example, you could group together the nursing majors or Journalism majors.

But who would make the yearbooks?

I imagine the yearbook making process either being student run and made rather than faculty making the yearbook for students since other students have ideas on what students want to see in the yearbook.

Would ASDC produce the yearbook or would the newspaper staff produce the yearbook, or would they both share equal responsibility for the yearbook?

For now the newspaper, the Collegian acts as a record for events that happened on campus and other topics that bring in Delta students. 

Though the newspaper isn’t the same as a yearbook since you can’t really have your friends sign the paper, it’s a great way to remember campus life.

Hopefully one day Delta will bring back yearbooks after almost 66 years, for now we have the newspaper to relive memories of our Delta experience.