It’s been a hot ‘KIA Boyz’ summer

594
0

Imagine waking up to your parents panicking and screaming: “Where’s your car?!” I wasn’t fully awake to process what was happening. I thought to myself, my Kia Optima was finally stolen, this is a blessing in disguise.      

My car had fallen to a social media craze that promotes theft of specific models of cars while leaving victims without their transportation.       

Since the pandemic, TikTok has become the most popular and used social media platform. It’s where young users consume video content of influencers singing, dancing, acting out skits and video tutorials. Watching video tutorials can teach viewers a wide range of DIY content – including some illegal activity.       

One of the most popular DIY videos exhibits how to steal a Kia or Hyundai, also known as the “Kia Boyz” trend. The video went viral from TikTok to Instagram and even showcased on YouTube. Other TikTok users were also reposting and demonstrating, “How to steal a Kia and Hyundai.”         

Car thefts in Stockton increased eight percent this summer between June and July. So far 1,335 car thefts have been reported, according to the Stockton Police Department. Omer Edhah, the spokesperson for the Stockton Police Department, didn’t have much to say about the TikTok trend.        

“We investigate all auto thefts in our jurisdiction. We always look for trends and similarities to determine whether or not they are related,” said Edhah.         

I wasn’t the only victim.

“I have a Hyundai Sonata and my car was broken into twice this summer. I caught the boys the first time and chased them down the street. Two days later, my car was broken into and stolen from my spot in the parking lot. I know it was the same stupid … boys from before. They took it on a joyride, stole all my belongings, and dumped it somewhere off Hammer. I work in the Bay, so I was struggling to get to work. My car insurance wasn’t helpful, I paid most of the damages out of pocket,” said Breanna Murphy, a Delta college student.         

California Attorney General Rob Bonta, gave a press release in March 2023 about the rising issues of the social media trend, specifically citing how a rise in these thefts has resulted in car insurance companies declining certain models.. 

“… owners are now facing the threat of being unable to insure their vehicles. Major insurance companies are now refusing to insure the Hyundai and Kia models most susceptible to theft,” the news release from Bonta’s office said.       

State Farm stopped coverage for certain Hyundai and Kia models, especially between the years 2015-2021, according to Kelley Blue Book. 

If consumers have these vehicles, State Farm requires an immobilizer inspection. America’s Hyundai and Kia manufacturers did not install immobilizers, was it laziness on their part? Twenty-three state attorney generals wrote to the car manufacturers to fix the problem by demanding recalls.

Hyundai and Kia sent out recall notices to their consumers beginning in early 2023.

“We are reaching out to let you know we have now developed a software upgrade that can be installed on your vehicle to restrict operation of the vehicle’s ignition system should your locked vehicle be the subject of a break-in and theft attempt without the key,” Kia’s recall letter said.

My Kia Optima was found less than two hours after reporting it missing. The “Kia Boyz” broke my ignition, the steering wheel and stole some of my personal belongings. Luckily, I have AAA insurance, they were extremely helpful and understanding of my situation. They covered my car rental for three weeks. However, the damages to my car was less than my deductible, I had to pay out of pocket which was $550. My household is currently installing outside cameras, especially by the driveway. This blessing was inconvenient for someone who commutes to the bay.      

My advice to anyone who has a Hyundai or Kia is to please contact your dealership and get your software updated.