DC Film debuts first Latinx protagonist

393
0

This summer, the debut of DC Films’ “Blue Beetle” premiered in theaters. 

The story centers on a Mexican-American protagonist as he and his family enter the cinematic universe of superheroes. 

It is the first comic book movie to feature Mexican-Americans as its main characters and superheroes. Alberto Gutierrez, Associate Professor in Ethnic Studies, applauds its profound stance in depicting a Chicano family in such a positive light.

“It’s the story of an immigrant family who went from living in the shadows to essentially becoming the heroes,” said Gutierrez. “That really caught me off guard. I was not expecting that. It was just great to see. It allows our imagination to expand in a way that we couldn’t.”

Indeed, the film does immerse itself into the culture it depicts. From popular Mexican music, food, tradition, a consistent dialogue in Spanish and even a Vicks VapoRub joke, all these elements make the film feel authentic.

For Isaias Mendez, a third-year Delta College student, it is refreshing to finally see a film that features the community in such a prominent role.

“I’m glad that Chicanos are finally getting recognized in the film industry,” said Mendez. We’re finally able to see them get roles in superhero movies. It was rare, and now we’re seeing them.” 

In our modern age of pop culture fashion, the comic book superhero genre is most dominant among all others.

With a worldwide fan base, these blockbuster films have a strong influence among audience viewers.

For Nayely Franco-Aguayo, a graduate of Delta College, the film is the beginning of a positive influence.

“This projection will positively impact the young and older people in the sense that they will feel empowered by who they are and what they are capable of becoming,” said Franco-Aguayo. “This could definitely serve to break barriers that the community faces in Hollywood.”

The release of “Blue Beetle” comes close to a year after the release of Marvel Studios’ “Wakanda Forever,” which depicted a Mexican-Indigenous civilization in a significant role. Both projects made a point to highlight the vibrance of the ethnicities.

With two major studio films released within a year of each other, the community has a newfound pride and optimism for its future of film and TV. 

One desire from community members is the hope that the younger generation is inspired to take pride in their culture, knowing there are existing heroes of the same background.

However, there are concerns about Hollywood’s direction in depicting various cultures.

Gutierrez describes how, despite the progress made, there is still a long journey ahead of the community.

“The problem with Hollywood is that it’s not balanced. The antagonists and protagonists are never balanced; it’s always the antagonists tend to be people of color. As optimistic as I am, I’m also equally as frustrated that it’s not moving fast enough.”

Nayely Franco-Aguayo is also critical of the narratives that may impose the progressional growth in the community’s storytelling.

“In films then and now, Chicanos have been depicted in a stereotypical manner. When representing another culture, I say it is important to place themselves in the shoes of the audience and ask themselves how it would make the audience feel. In almost every movie us Mexicans are portrayed in a negative aspect,” said Franco-Aguayo.

Concern for any adverse effects mainly revolves around misunderstanding the culture and the people that make it up.

A consensus among the community is that moving forward, the Chicano/Latino/Hispanic community should focus on other areas to progress, as no one person or project is the sole bearer of this responsibility.