Stockton Civic Theatre presents ‘Gruesome Playground Injuries’

873
0
Gruesome Playground Injuries actors Dani Loera (Left – Kayleen) and Noah Thompson (Right – Doug). Photo credit by Stockton Civic Theatre

I’ve been living in Stockton for almost 20 years and never cared to explore my hometown. I decided to go on the Visit Stockton website to check out local events. I saw that the Stockton Civic Theatre (SCT) was showcasing “Gruesome Playground Injuries.” The title of the play intrigued me, so I bought a ticket. 

“Gruesome Playground Injuries” is a two-person play about childhood friends reconnecting over the course of 30 years. The characters Doug and Kayleen compare each other’s emotional and physical scars. The play bounces between the future, past, and present. 

The show took place at the Pam Kitto Black Box Theater, which seats 65 people. The showroom’s setting created an intimate atmosphere between the audience and the two actors. 

The last scene in Gruesome Playground Injuries performance inside the Pam Kitto Black Box Theater. Photo credit by Stockton Civic Theatre

Actor, Noah Thompson [Doug], was asked what the biggest challenges were playing in this two-person production,  

“I guess like, not knowing each other. And because of what kind of show it is, the intimacy and vulnerability of it becomes very personal,” said Thompson.

While watching the show, the characters are relatable. There’s Doug who is not afraid to get hurt physically, emotionally, and vulnerably. And then there’s Kayleen who is afraid of intimacy and companionship. 

Watching Kayleen was like watching myself in a mirror. A girl who doesn’t know who to trust and protects herself by pushing people away.

Delta’s drama student and SCT actor, Dani Loera [Kayleen], explains the underlying meaning of the play.

“Not being afraid to be vulnerable. Kayleen is scared the entire time. Of her vulnerability, her emotions, and the things that she went through. It’s about letting go of the fear of rejection and letting your guard down. Kayleen’s dad sucks, her mom sucks. So now she has this person that she can let in, but she doesn’t know how to because of her traumas,” said Loera.

“Gruesome Playground Injuries” will play on Oct. 19, 20, and 21. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. and is 1 hour and 45 minutes long.