Do not overdue it at Goleman library

181
0
Enterntainment editor, Zackary Kirk-Newton, returning “The Lorax” to the Goleman library book drop box. Photo by Dylan Jaekel

If you have received a book list from one of your classes while at Delta, chances are you have noticed a few books are unavailable at the library due to them already being overdue. 

“The Library uses an automated library system which generates notices first to remind students when an item is due, then when it is overdue. These notices are delivered to campus email accounts,” said Professor, Librarian and Coordinator of Collection Development, Dr. Josefina Gomez via email. 

If a student does have an overdue library item, they will likely be charged a fine. For items from the Main Book Collection, a $0.25 fine is charged each day the item is overdue, with a maximum fine of $5 per title. Fines vary based on what collection the library item is from, such as reserve titles, careers shelf, etc.  

If a student has a certain number of overdue items from the Main Book Collection they will likely be unable to check out any more materials from the library before the materials are returned and/or fines are paid. 

“Users cannot check out more if they have 4 or more overdue titles from the library,” said Delta’s website under the fines, fees and limits section of their library services page. 

Though the ideal scenario is that all library materials are returned to the library, sometimes students are unable to return their checked out materials. If a student is unable to return a library material, they may be issued a fee.

“Our primary goal is to get the materials back into the Library for other students to use. If a student reports that they cannot return the item, a replacement fee (per prior fee schedule) may be charged,” said Gomez. 

Lost or damaged books and printed materials can carry a replacement charge ranging from $65 for general books to $130 for reserve books according to Delta’s website. A full list of possible library fines and fees can be found on Delta’s website’s library page. 

If a student is unable to find a book that they are looking for, whether it be overdue or the library does not possess it, students are able to request possible library purchases. 

“Our Library Home Page has a Suggest a Purchase link under “Library Services,” said Gomez. 

Librarians also make purchase suggestions based on known need and want from the campus community. 

“The librarians select new items based on input from students, faculty and known demand, as well as on the basis of reviews or other professional sources. The librarians are each assigned to one or two TrACs to work with the respective faculty to ensure the collection is meeting the needs of the curriculum across all disciplines taught on campus,” said Gomez.