Delta’s Political Science 14 goes to Italy

149
0

On June 16 the Academic Political Science Study Abroad Program (POLSCI 14) will fly to Italy with 25 students where they stay for two weeks.

The program will be staying in Florence, and taking an hour train ride over to Parma, Stockton’s sister city. 

Over the course of a few days students will get the chance to talk with lawyers, public officials, and speak with political science and law students at the University of Parma. 

“One of the focuses is how cities around the globe — not just up the street or down the street — handle issues such as crime, handle issues such as homelessness and global warming. The whole world is dealing with these issues now…bringing back what they’re doing to Stockton,” said Political Science Professor Joel Blank.   

When the students return to Stockton, the Political Science Program will host a forum with members of the community including elected officials where they can learn from the students. 

“That is our plan…how they deal with local issues then we’re going to bring them back here, open up a forum and invite members of the community; elected officials, and they’re going to learn from our students,” said Political Science Professor Cirian Villavicencio. 

Aside from conversing with Parma alumni, students will also be provided with the sites of beautiful artwork and architecture at the Vatican in Rome, Pisa, and all the museums. 

“There’s a lot in those two weeks,” said Blank. 

Anyone can join the trip as long as you’ve passed Political Science one with a C or better. 

Right now there’s two seats left for the trip, and the program is eager to fill them. 

If you don’t qualify for financial aid the trip will cost $3,000 and if you do qualify the price drops to $2,000. 

Delta College Foundation recently subsidized the trip providing each student with $500, and the Department of Political Science will include an additional $1,300. 

Alejandro Gomez, Senior Financial Aid Specialist, is available to see if students qualify for financial aid. 

As of Feb. 24 flight ticket prices have dropped to $1,520. 

The deadline is March 9 and the application is on the AIFS website