First round of 2021 NFL draft reveals surprising winners, losers

2579
0

The 2021 NFL Draft has finally concluded this weekend on May 1, after the long anticipated wait from football fans since the Super Bowl. 

The draft features seven rounds of draft picks, with the total number of selections reaching 259 due to compensation picks added in (league rewards teams with draft picks for significant players lost during free agency period).

The first round took place on April 29, followed by rounds 2 and 3 the next day. The draft concluded at a rapid selecting pace starting at 9 a.m. on May 1, with rounds 4 to 7.

Since there are an overwhelming number of players we could discuss between the seven rounds of draft picks total, we will only focus on the top prospects selected with the first 5 picks.

For a bonus surprise at the end, I will reveal which franchise was the biggest winner of the first round, along with the biggest loser of the first round.

First Pick: Jacksonville Jaguars – QB Trevor Lawrence, Clemson.

A slam dunk number one pick for a Jacksonville team looking for a jumpstart on their rebuild after finishing with a dreadful record of 1-15 last season. Lawrence is oozing with franchise talent at the QB position, with his powerful precision arm able to dissect defenses and make plays with his legs when needed. With Lawrence and new NFL head coach Urban Meyer now in the building, things will turn around in a hurry down in Jacksonville.

2020 season stats: 3,153 passing yards, 24 TDs, 69.2 percent completion percentage.

Second Pick: New York Jets – QB Zach Wilson, BYU.

The Jets finally selected their man at the number two pick after dealing former QB Sam Darnold to Carolina this offseason. Wilson has laser down-the-field accuracy to go along with a mature leadership mentality he’s ready to bring to the next level. Wilson, along with newly acquired head coach Robert Saleh from San Francisco’s should have the Jets in the thick of things in the AFC for years to come.

2020 season stats: 3,692 passing yards, 33 TDs, 73.5 percent completion percentage.

Third Pick: San Francisco 49ers – QB Trey Lance, North Dakota St.

Speaking of San Francisco, the biggest mystery heading into the night was who the Niners were going to select at number three after trading up from 12 with the Dolphins. They elected to go with the high upside dual-threat stud QB out of NDSU, Trey Lance. Despite sitting out last season, he posted incredible numbers in his 18 collegiate games showing everyone he could have the highest upside out of any QB selected in this draft. Time will tell when he will get his opportunity behind Garoppolo, but with the weapons and coaching staff present down there in SF, it could be special when he does.

2019 season stats: 2,786 passing yards, 28 passing TDs, 66.9 percent completion percentage, 1,100 rushing yards, 14 rushing TDs.

Fourth Pick: Atlanta Falcons – TE Kyle Pitts, Florida.

There was some speculation on what the Falcons would do here, with the options of taking a QB for the future on the board or trading down for more assets. They decided to stay put and select arguably the best skill player in the draft, tight end Kyle Pitts out of Florida. An insanely gifted athlete with an extreme “WR like” catch radius, look for the Falcons offense to be posting elite numbers next season with Jones, Ridley, and now Pitts in the fold for Matt Ryan to play with.

2020 season stats: 43 receptions, 770 receiving yards, 12 TDs.

Fifth Pick: Cincinnati Bengals – WR Ja’Marr Chase, LSU.

Some were surprised by the decision to draft WR instead of OL at this spot, considering their franchise QB just went down with an ACL injury last season. However they went with the can’t-miss product out of LSU, Ja’Marr Chase. Despite also sitting out this past season like Lance, Chase possesses a rare combination of speed and physical power that makes him nearly unguardable on the edge for defenders. Reuniting him with last year’s number 1 overall pick and former college QB Joe Burrow should result in an immediate on-the-field success for Chase and the Bengals.

2019 season stats: 84 receptions, 1,780 receiving yards, 20 TDs.

Biggest Winner: Chicago Bears 

The Bears traded up from pick number 20 to 11 to select prized QB prospect out of Ohio State, Justin Fields. Even though the price tag for moving up to get Fields was a bit steep, they were able to land a projected top five pick outside of the top 10. Adding a potential franchise talent to the QB room greatly raises the overall optimism of the franchise moving forward into next season.

Biggest Loser: Washington Football Team

Washington watched as the Chicago Bears jumped them and eight other teams to select their potential franchise QB, Justin Fields, as he was slipping down the draft board. Washington, sitting one selection before Chicago, had the perfect opportunity to select their potential franchise QB with Ryan Fitzpatrick already at the helm as the perfect bridge QB for a young prospect. When you’re a QB away from being a serious contender in this league, you have to be willing to pull the trigger when you get the chance at one.