Mustangs volleyball holds third place in Big 8

2936
0
Delta's Raven Sula hits the ball over the net against Sierra College on Oct. 29, 2021. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

With one match left to play in the Big 8, Mustangs volleyball have clinched third place in their conference as they prepare for the postseason.

The Mustangs (15-9) have a 11-4 conference record after falling to Sierra College and American River, as well as knocking off Santa Rosa in their last three matches. 

As the Big 8 comes to an end, the Mustangs continue searching for a more consistent starting lineup.

Delta’s current volleyball roster has shown to have the depth which head coach Molly Mordaunt-Hummel pointed out at the beginning of the season.

The players have lived up to that expectation as their coach has tried several combinations when it comes to choosing which players start each match.

“This year we’ve tried a lot of different lineups. I would say in my 16 years as a head coach I’ve never played every single player,” said Mordaunt-Hummel. “Every single player has had an opportunity. We’re trying to stick to a lineup, and I think that the more the girls can play together the better off they’re going to be.”

In 2019, four players played all of the sets in each match.

This year everyone has been subbed out at least once this season.

The team’s depth is most noticeable on offense. While outside hitter Savannah LeBarre leads the team in kills with 287, she isn’t the only player picking up a great number of points for the Mustangs.

Following her in kills is outside hitter Francesca Egonio with 138 and setter Ellie Crowell with 110. 

All together the three freshmen total 535 of the team’s 855 kills so far this season.

Delta has faced some of the best teams in California on the community college level in the past month, including Fresno City and current state champion Feather River, losing both matches in three on Oct. 23.

Facing high level opponents like these helps the team see where they sit in terms of performance, and Mordaunt-Hummel said her team has more potential as California Community College Athletic Association (CCCAA) competition heads into the postseason.

“We just want to be the best we possibly can be in November. We want to be great when playoffs come around. This team has a lot of room for growth and they just need to keep getting better and better,” said Mordaunt-Hummel.

Growth is exactly what the players want to accomplish as setter Kaitlyn Morenzone said more challenging matches are in store for the Mustangs when they reach the playoffs.

“I think there’s a lot to learn these past few games, and there’s always room to improve, which we’re always up for the challenge. It’s only going to get tougher,” said Morenzone.

The Mustangs will have their last Big 8 Conference match on Tuesday, Nov. 16, when they host Diablo Valley College before participating in the NorCal regional playoffs.