Mustangs edge Lake Tahoe 2-0 in women’s soccer playoffs

2702
0
Delta forward Haley Molinari celebrates after scoring against Lake Tahoe in the Round 1 NorCal playoffs on Nov. 20, 2021 in Stockton, Calif. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

While Delta College’s women’s soccer team came into the playoffs as the No. 1 seed in Northern California facing No. 18 seed Lake Tahoe, the performance gap between the two teams didn’t prove to be that far as both have participated in CCCAA State Championships in the past.

Two goals from forward Haley Molinari gave the Mustangs (20-0-1) the victory against the Coyotes (11-5-2) who came off of a win against Evergreen Valley in the play-in round on Thursday after winning the Golden Valley Conference championship.

The first 25 minutes of the game showcased the Mustangs on the offense trying to open a solid Lake Tahoe defensive line.

Several fouls from both teams were prevalent as they battled to win every ball.

The Coyotes responded with quick transitions from defense to offense to attempt counterattacks as Delta continued to push forward on the attack.

It wasn’t until the 26th minute of the first half that Delta got on the scoreboard after Molinari netted the ball with a far post shot to her right inside the box.

Following the first goal, the Mustangs managed to grasp more control over the Coyotes throughout the rest of the game.

Before opening the score and throughout the rest of the game, the Mustangs had trouble generating offensive plays to create scoring chances.

Delta head coach Adrienne Sorenson pointed out how Lake Tahoe did well at holding off her team’s offense throughout several moments of the game..

“It’s a really good team [Lake Tahoe], very well coached. They did a nice job at frustrating us in the attack at times,” said Sorenson.

The depth that Delta has on its roster was a factor for the win against the Golden Valley Conference champions.

Delta head coach Adrienne Sorenson celebrates the Mustangs’ second goal against Lake Tahoe with substitue players on Nov. 20, 2021. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

Sorenson went on to praise the players who were subbed into the game and added to the team’s performance on the field.

“I don’t think you could plan for our subs who came off the bench and just injected energy and changed the game. There’s no way to plan for that. I’m really proud that our depth helped us get it done today and take the pressure off our main statistical leaders. This is a point in the season where everybody needs to step up,” said Sorenson.

Among those players was Molinari, who after today has just reached three goals in 20 games this season.

With forwards Alexis Brewah (20 goals) and Sabrina Cabrera (27 goals) as the team’s starting attackers, Molinari seeks to make the most out of the minutes she gets on the field this season.

She did just that during this afternoon’s first round playoff game.

Mustangs forward Haley Molinari dribbles the ball near midfield during the Delta v. Lake Tahoe NorCal Round 1 game at Delta College on Nov. 20, 2021. PHOTO BY DAVID VICTOR

“It’s been a long season,” said Molinari. “I don’t mind not getting goals throughout the whole season, but when your team needs you you’ve got to show them what you’ve got. To get two goals in one game is just amazing.”

Delta managed to shut down one of the most effective attacks in the state.

With forward Alyssa Grundy as one of the top scorers in California (32 goals) and midfielder Alexandra Trinidad leading the state in assists (22 assists), the Lake Tahoe offense was expected to be a tough test for the Mustangs’ defensive line to overcome.

This afternoon the Coyotes were left scoreless for the first time in 12 games.

Capitalizing on scoring chances is important when it comes to advancing in the playoffs.

After scoring two goals in 17 shots against Lake Tahoe, Sorenson thinks her team’s finishing on offense and focus during the whole 90 minutes could still get better as the Mustangs prepare for their second round game.

Other than that, the head coach sees her team in great form.

“I think finishing chances is something we can continue to improve on and no switch off moments during the game, that’s it,” said Sorenson.

Delta will square off in the Delta College Soccer Complex at 2 p.m. on Tuesday against Fresno City, who defeated Los Medanos with a score of 1-0 to advance to the second round.