Celebrating black artists

1170
0

Brandon Leake

An inspiring poet, motivational speaker, and former Delta College academic advisor, Leake was also the winner of  America’s Got Talent season 15 with his spoken word poetry. A Stockton local, Leake represents his community with inspirational words about life experiences such as growing up as a Black man in America and being a father. 

Since winning AGT, they continue to create moving  poetry, performs live shows, has written a book and even created a short film. Leake is also the founder and CEO of Called to Move, an organization that strives to inspire people through art. 

Chadwick Boseman

Chadwick Boseman was many things in his life, a playwright, director, actor, and a Black Icon. 

Having fought cancer in secret all while filming physically intense scenes for his role as the Black Panther in Marvel’s films, he showed his determination to stay a beacon of strength for people everywhere. 

Boseman donated to many different charities for cancer and donated money to help obtain medical equipment for hospitals that heavily served Black communities in response to the Covid-19 pandemic. 

Rhianna

One of the most successful artists and business women of our time, Rihanna is a perfect display of a strong female role model. 

During her music career she worked with names as big as Jay Z and had more than 10 songs in the Billboard’s top 100 songs, winning nine Grammys out of 33 nominations.

She also became an extremely influential fashion icon, eventually launching her own lingerie and skin care brands

Mahershala Ali  

Mahershala Ali is a Black Muslim icon, philanthropist, actor, and singer. He is also an activist for social justice, youth education, AIDS prevention and treatment, and many other causes and organizations. 

As an Oakland native, Ali has done much to help the city such as calling for better working conditions for Oakland teachers. 

Ali has been known to use his influence as a celebrity and a producer to give a voice to those that don’t have one.

Childish Gambino

Quickly becoming one of the most popular artists amongst this generation of celebrities, Donald Glover a.k.a Childish Gambino has used his music time and time again to instigate positive discussions about social issues.

Among his popular music, Glover has also directed, produced, and acted in a number of films including Atlanta and Solo: A Star Wars Story.

Amanda Gorman

Amanda Gorman is a poet that spoke at president Joe Biden’s Inaugural Ceremony, becoming the youngest inaugural poet in U.S. history.  

Gorman focuses on issues such as oppression, feminism, race, as well as many other human rights issues. Awarded with the honorable title of National Youth Poet Laureate, Gorman becomes the first person to hold the title.