Kassidy Pace, athlete for College of the Sequoia's track and field, competes in shotput. PHOTO BY ZACKARY KIRK-NEWTON

On April 5, despite unseasonable temperatures and extremely seasonable rain,  Delta College Track and Field held its second annual Throws Festival. 

The Throws Festival is an athletic competition featuring schools from throughout  California competing in field events such as discus, shot put, hammer throw and javelin. 

After a cancellation last year, wet weather did little to douse enthusiasm regarding the event from organizers and athletes alike.
“I think we can really turn this into a very nice event,” said Lauryn Seales, head coach for the Delta College Women’s Track and Field. “I’m glad people are coming out. Obviously, it’s not the best conditions, but we’re here.” 

The athletes were equally excited.
“I’m happy to be here, it’s a good experience,” said Kailey Leva, a University of California, Santa Cruz athlete. “I like the people, like the community, I feel like it’s very supportive compared to other events. You’re competing against yourself a lot versus competing against yourself.”

The weather didn’t dampen the event.
“I’ve been doing track since elementary, so that’s what got me into it, and I kinda stuck with it through middle and high school,” said Kassidy Pace, an athlete from  College of the Sequoias in Visalia, who also made note of the weather. “It’s a little bit cloudy and a little bit cold.” 

The event marked a temporary return to campus for the Track and Field athletes, who have been hosted elsewhere due to issues with facilities.
“This is our first and only home meet of the season as we’re waiting for track repairs,” said Alex Knudsen, Delta College throws coach.. “But until then, having this opportunity to really showcase what we have here at San Joaquin Delta College in my lovely hometown of Stockton, California. “Many of Delta College’s athletic facilities have been out of commission since at least 2022, with construction tentatively slated to start soon.
“As of right now we’re still on schedule for construction to start late spring,” Director of Marketing and Communications Alex Breitler told the Collegian in February. “As of right now we’re still on schedule for construction to start late spring.”