Student chef opens for spring

1473
0

Where’s the food at Delta College? 

With the cafeteria seeming like a “hot food” graveyard, students can’t get much outside of sandwiches, soup, and Hot Pockets. So where do we turn to for a hot meal that’s worth the bang? Delta College’s Student Chef.

Located in Danner Hall, adjacent to the cafeteria, it’s easy to miss the location, usually advertised with a sign saying Student Chef and the menu written out. The area includes a professional dining room with pictures on the wall, tables to sit at and mood music playing in the background.

The wait staff  dressed in black and wearing aprons look nice and professional. And yes, masks are being worn as well to keep customers safe. 

The person in charge of everything is Culinary Arts Professor Chef Mark Berkner.             

Berkner said he is proud of the students in the program. He noted that the restaurant is open Tuesdays and Wednesday From 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.

“Student Chef gives the students the opportunity for a real experience of good food,” said Berkner.

Students in the program think that the program has been a beneficial experience for them.

“With student Chef, I like having to interact with the guests and making sure they are happy,” said student Jasmine Flores,  “I usually work in a kitchen, so it was great  learning how to run the front of the house, from setting up to serving.”

The restaurant has been operating face-to-face nearly the entire pandemic. 

“We have actually been face to face since fall of 2020. We were providing food for the staff that was on campus,” said Berkner. “The lab class may be small but we’re still providing  food open to all.”

Student Chef serves appetizers such as bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, chicken wings, chicken wraps with lemon grass, Caesar salad and Moroccan tacos with spice beef and harissa sauce. 

Some of the main courses recently on offer include potato gnocchi, Korean fried chicken with a side of sesame cabbage slaw with steamed white rice and grilled New York steak with rich red wine sauce served with  golden brown duchess potato and steamed broccoli. 

There’s going to be more food added on the menu in the future, along with a variety of desserts and beverages.  

When the food was served the people dug in. As for me, the Moroccan tacos were to die for, so I ordered it twice. It was savory and full of flavors. 

The grilled New York steak was medium well –  just how I ordered it. The potatoes and broccoli were cooked to perfection, just how I like it.