Graduation returns to Stockton Arena

1179
0

Graduation. 

It’s a  joyous occasion where students can finally reap the benefits of all their hard work, sleepless nights studying and thousands of dollars by walking across a stage for ten seconds in front of thousands of people.

For many students who worked hard for years, walking across the stage feels like the finish line at the end of a marathon through the desert. 

“It’s been a long journey,” said student Delainey Bright, who plans to walk at the upcoming commencement ceremony with an associate in communications for transfer. “I’m excited for what the future has in store for me.”

The San Joaquin Delta College’s 87th Annual Commencement Ceremony for the Class of 2022 is planned to be held at the Stockton Arena on May 19 from 6 to 8 p.m.  

Expectations for the 2022 commencement are high after the disaster that was the initial 2021 graduation ceremony, which was marred by technical glitches. 

The event was live streamed on May 15, 2021, but was stopped before it ended when a student’s name kept repeating, ruining other student’s moments. 

A second name later joined in a chorus, rendering the event unintelligible.

Beyond the technical glitches, one student who graduated said she hated the remote nature of the event. 

“My family wasn’t there and I didn’t feel
special,” said Robyn Jones, former Collegian staff member and 2021 San Joaquin Delta College graduate. “When the two names were repeated over and over on top of everyone’s name, I was lowkey mad.”

After the mishaps at the virtual graduation mentioned by Jones, two in-person ceremonies were rescheduled for June 25 and June 26 for the classes of 2020 and 2021.

“I was glad it didn’t happen to me but it was messed up for everyone else,” said Jones. “The fact they took forever to give us an in-person graduation … was disappointing.”

With the ceremony set to be held in person, the technical issues faced last year are not likely to be a prominent concern. The only thing students will have to worry about is their family embarrassing them when their name is called. 

Most students can relate to the parting sentiments of Bright.

“I’m a little nervous but ready to take the next step!” she said.