Delta Pride Center provides safe space

669
0

Started in 2011, Delta’s Pride Center believes in providing support and a safe campus climate for the college’s LGBTQ+ students.

I spoke to Ricky Gutierrez, the program manager for Delta’s Pride Center and empowerment resource programs, and asked some quick questions about the center.

What is the Pride Center?

“A student resource and cultural center for LGBTQ+ students,” said Gutierrez. “We promote the overall well being of students, improve campus culture and support the success of students.”

Do you think Delta should do more to promote the Pride Center? 

“Yes! We love to be shown love. So anytime we get a shoutout, especially on social media, it definitely creates more visibility. We loved the promotion and marketing that happened in June for our first ever pride Flag raising ceremony.” 

What are some of the services that are provided by the Pride Center? 

Isaiah Wright, who is one of the student mentors and wellness ambassadors, said the center offers “one-on-one mentoring, book voucher, community building opportunities, flyer posting for community outreach.”   

When it comes to Delta supporting the Pride Center, Wright said “Delta [supporting] Pride is a great way to ensure students with the ability to express themselves with a safe environment free from judgment and negativity.” 

Emily Pham, who is a student assistant for the Pride Center, said “We have the Pride Center which provides a safe space for LGBTQ+ students, where students can hang out, study and meet like-minded folks. We have many resources available. We have the Pride Scholars program which provides academic guidance.”   

The Pride Center is located at Danner Hall upstairs in room 202B, and is open Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. It can be contacted by phone at  (209) 954-8349 or using Google Voice number (209) 597-8349.