Suspect in serial killings arrested

890
0

Wesley Brownlee, 43, of Stockton, was arrested for homicide near Winslow Way and Village Green Drive at around 2 a.m. on Oct. 15.

Stockton Police Chief Stanley McFadden announced his arrest for the series of homicides that had the community on edge in recent weeks during a press conference later that afternoon. 

McFadden said tips to Stockton Crime Stoppers allowed police to narrow in on the suspect and his place of residence. From there, McFadden said a police surveillance team followed him while he went out driving that morning. 

“He was on a mission to kill,” said McFadden. “He was out hunting.”

McFadden said police identified him as a threat when they began to notice “patterns” in his behavior. McFadden said the suspect drove around to “parks” and “dark places” and would stop to “look around” before moving on. 

According to McFadden, the suspect was dressed in dark clothing and had a mask around his neck when he was apprehended by police that morning. The suspect was armed with a handgun at the time of the arrest.

“We are sure we stopped another killing,” said McFadden.

According to a post on the Stockton Police Department’s Facebook page, homicide detectives and SWAT team members conducted a search warrant on the suspect’s apartment later that day.

The press conference also included statements from San Joaquin County District Attorney Tori Verber-Salazar, City Manager Harry Black, Mayor Kevin Lincoln, and District Attorney-elect Ron Freitas. 

“My deputy district attorneys, who have been here all night, are reviewing the evidence as we speak,” said Verber-Salazar about the case. 

The suspect was arraigned on Tuesday, Oct. 18, and charged with three counts of murder.

“I look forward to prosecuting him to the fullest extent of the law,” said Freitas.

Citing the ongoing status of the investigation, McFadden shared very few details about the arrest and evidence against the suspect.

Though an arrest has been made, the investigation into these homicides and the suspect is ongoing. 

If you have any tips, you can submit them to StocktonCrimeStoppers.org. A tip line is also available and can be reached at 209-937-8167.