Remembering Delta trustee Teresa Brown 

509
0

On Oct. 20, Area 6 Board of Trustees member Dr. Teresa Brown was honored through a memorial from friends, colleagues and family. 

Brown, who represented Tracy and Mountain House, died on Sept. 11. She served as a member of the Board of Trustees for nearly 14 years. 

“It is so sad that Teresa Brown has passed away,” said Dr. Kathy Hart, former president/superintendent who served from 2012-2019, in a quote read during the program. “Teresa loved the college students and the programs and I will deeply miss her. Rest in peace Teresa Brown.” 

Current president of the Board of Trustees Charles Jennings said Brown was heavily involved in Delta and she spoke of her family members in a positive way. 

“Dr. Brown was quite well known by her colleagues in the state,” said Jennings. “She was eagerly involved in the college and she was always eager when it came to the phone calls we had. She often spoke of her partner Jim and her daughter Amber in a very positive way.” 

Brown was also known for her work in the community and how she became a strong voice towards many individuals. 

“Teresa was very bold,” said Doreen Bestolarides, community member and friend of Brown. “She certainly did God’s handy work and she became a compassionate and passionate voice for advocacy and for the community.” 

Former student representative of the Board of Trustees Jarrod Vargas states that Dr. Brown was one of his best mentors he has ever had in his time at Delta. 

“I think Dr. Brown was probably one of the most important mentors I have ever had,” said Vargas. “During my time on the board, she gave me a lot of advice about the importance of raising our voice and she helped guide students and also shared her insights, too. I will always remember all of her lessons and I’m grateful for being around her around those times.” 

Brown was born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and she traveled to West Virginia University to get her undergraduate degree in journalism. 

Like many Delta College students, Brown was a first-generation college student.

“My mother finished the eighth grade and went to work for the Pennsylvania railroad, and my father graduated from high school and went into the military,” Brown said in a 2020 candidates forum. 

Brown served 10 years as a member of the Advisory Committee on Educational Services for the Community College League of California.

Outside of her work at Delta and community colleges, Brown was a proud advocate for many individuals, such as those with developmental disabilities. 

“She exemplified her faith through her works and we have shared that through our children, who have developmental disabilities,” said Bestolarides, who has two sons, including Paul Bestolarides, who works as an adjunct instructor at Delta College. “Teresa gave me and my youngest son Paul a better system for the college. We are grateful to her for her leadership for my son.”