Delta baseball team looking to keep up good form

589
0
Delta baseball team performs a sprinting drill during practice. PHOTO BY BRYAN RAMOS

The Delta baseball team started their season with three wins in a row against Ventura. As of Feb. 6, they’re 6-0 this season. 

Head coach Reed Peters hopes to keep the momentum going. 

“Game 1 we had some issues with command and let them back into the game.” Peters said. “Fortunately we scored 19 runs because if you give them 12 we don’t win very often.Games 2 and 3, our pitching was good or defense was good, that’s what more of what I expect.”

Even after going 3-0, returning athlete Alec Nava thinks there’s more room for improvement.

”I think there’s always room for improvement and getting better on the technical things.” Nava said. “This weekend showed we have the potential to be really good but there’s still work to do.”

Peters has expectations for the baseball team this year.

“We have high expectations like we always do,” Peters said. “Our goal is to win the state championship every year here.”

All of the team’s home games will take place at UOP this season.

Peters thinks it can help the team be more prepared.

“It’s a little bit different that we practice on turf and play on grass,” Peters said. “I think it could help us with the fact that when we go on the road, we’re obviously going to be more prepared, because the fields are grass.”

He thinks the only downside of the field is the weather. “If it rains or anything like that and they can’t get it ready, we’re not in charge of that,” Peters said. “We saw that in our first scrimmage. They didn’t get the field ready because it was too wet”

Alec Nava is grateful for UOP for the field. 

“We’re really grateful, it’s a really nice field, it’s just super nice of them to let us use their field.”

Ben Pernetti has goals for himself and his team this season.

“Some personal goals I have are to get healthy and stay healthy and try to earn myself a spot on this team.” Pernetti said. “For this team, I really want to see us win state this year, I think we have the potential.”

His coaches made him want to play baseball for Delta College.

“I was getting looked at by different schools but I ended up with Delta,” Pernetti said. “I liked the program, I liked the coaches and what they were promising and what they could give me.”

They won against the Long Beach City College baseball team 7-5 on Feb. 2, won against L.A. Harbor College 9-4 on Feb. 3, and also won against Cerritos College 12-8 for the SoCal challenge.