Food services in Danner Hall expand to meet student needs

445
0
A selection of food options available for students in Danner Hall. PHOTO BY ANDREA RIVERA

Food service offerings and availability have increased since students went to the Board of Trustees in September 2022. 

The result is more operational hours and products to meet student demand, according to a report at the Feb. 21 board meeting.

Last fall, students noted “limited nutritional menu options” and “limited operating hours” during public comment at a board meeting. 

The department response was an “assessment of menu offerings and staffing requirements to possibly expand hours,” according to the board presentation.

The assessment found that “only 10 out of approximately 115 food items had more than 500 calories.”

The update, presented mostly by Assistant Director of Auxiliary Services Nate McBride, at the Feb. 21 Board of Trustees discussed the new updates and progress.

One change includes the addition of CleanEatz frozen meals, which have sold between one and four offerings daily for Spring 2023. 

It was also discussed if there is a way to gather donations from other food companies surrounding the school, or cut down on prices to help students combat money issues.

But unfortunately, “there is no General Fund contribution that goes to the operation of the cafeteria, it’s almost like an enterprise within the district,” according to Augustine Chavez.

The Auxiliary team is still looking and experimenting with the pricing options and food choices in Danner Hall to help students afford the food items.

Student Kim Morquecho said she visits Danner Hall two times every Tuesday and Thursday when she’s on campus. She said she still sees needs, despite the addition of a new microwave this semester for student use.

“I would like it if there was a toaster next to the microwave, or if there were more microwaves because sometimes there’s a huge line,” Morquecho “Also sometimes I eat my food cold because of how dirty the microwave is.”

Danner Hall is open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. and 2 p.m. and is stocked with new exciting snacks and frozen meals such as: popcorn chicken parm, barbecue beef mac & cheese and Cowboy Shepard Pie that can be warmed up in the microwave provided in Danner Hall. 

Students can also continue to give feedback via QR codes that are pinned on the walls near the new salad bar.