AAPI Heritage Month celebration hosted on campus

Delta hosted an event celebrating Asian American Pacific Islander heritage in the Tillie Lewis Theatre on April 1. The event featured Stockton Buukyo Taiko Drumming, Lincoln's Polynesian Club and Delta's EPIC dance team, among others.

707
0

The Faculty Caucus of Asian Pacific Equity hosted its Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Celebration on April 1.

The event aimed to recognize and celebrate diversity in the Asian American, Native Hawaiian and Pacific Islander American communities to elevate voices, increase visibility and support students in pursuing cultural pride.

Matthew Romano, a performer of the Kababyan Club from Bear Creek High School, expressed his enthusiasm for the event’s success and the opportunity to perform in front of a large crowd.

“I think it’s very significant to have Asian community performances and all these clubs from different parts of Stockton perform. I hope everyone that came to watch the shows learned more about all the different cultures that performed, and that staff put together these type of events more often as well because there’s a lot more clubs around Stockton and around all these schools that would like to perform in front of these large groups of people,” Romano said. 

The AAPI Heritage Celebration is an event where students, families and community members are invited to learn about the various cultures through the art of dance. 

Dustin Tsai, Associate Professor of Geography at Delta, was optimistic about the learning experience the event offered for attendees.

“I think that they learn that Asians are not a singular monolithic group, but we’re actually super diverse. Because oftentimes, it’s been happening for such a long time where at least in higher ed, they always talk about Asian students as one big block. My main takeaway is it shows you how even all the different Asian cultures are all quite different, and to really recognize that so we don’t view Asian students and Asian Americans as just a singular identity because they’re really not,” Tsai said.

Fifteen groups performed at the Tillie Lewis Theatre. 

The Stockton Bukkyo Taiko group, Red Phoenix Rising Theater, The Punjabi Junction, Thien Quang Lion Dance Team, Bear Creek’s Kababyan and Hmong Clubs, Edison High School’s K-Pop Club, Lincoln Polynesian, Sac Modern, TOP FIVE, and Delta’s EPIC Dance Team, Japanese Chinese Korean Club, Kapwa Club, Vietnamese Club and Thai Lao Cambodian Club.

Routines varied in style from traditional routines incorporating cultural music and dance to modern routines utilizing Hip-Hop and K-Pop music and dancing styles.

Mafae Yunon-Belasco, Marketing Director of Filipino American National Historical Society and the emcee of the celebration, conveyed the significance of celebration events like these for the community. 

“Being part of the AAPI celebration here at Delta, it really allowed me to witness how amazing Asian American, Pacific Islanders who are also passionate about understanding their culture, their hometowns and expressing it in dance being creative and also music because I know that’s how they share the language of love through performance. The experience of life learning from others is also a priority for me. Everybody is equal, everybody has something to teach you. And through events like these, it puts a highlight on that perspective. The big takeaway would be the enjoyment, the unity, and the youth being the leaders of today. For me, even if you don’t visit a country, through people, you’re already experiencing it. I love to see the diversity, and I think that’s the biggest celebration we’re doing here today.”