Associated Students fill vacant positions, look to May election

387
0

For the first time since November, the Associated Students of Delta College (ASDC) is almost fully staffed. The ASDC board now has eight of 11 positions filled as of the end of March.

The vacancies were due to “a voluntary resignation with [the] previously appointed officers which was mutually agreed upon,” according to Director of Student Activities Shayla Walker.
“It was difficult. We had to scale some things back while still doing events and still advocating for students, with a limited staff.”

While positions are filled through the end of the year, Spring elections for 2023-24 are set to be held May 3-4. Students can cast votes online. Election results are set to be announced the day after voting closes, May 5, on the Delta College website.

Applications for candidates are online at bit.ly/asdcelectionsS23. The linked page includes an orientation schedule for those interested in running to get more information. Students are encouraged to apply to any one of the eleven positions, including the roles of President and Vice President. The deadline to apply is Monday, April 17 by 5 p.m.

Following the sudden loss of a majority of Delta’s student government last November, the Office of Student Activities began sending emails to the entire student population calling for interested parties to apply in order to fill these vacancies mid-term. A late November email noted there were eight positions available.

The duties of the ASDC are important to campus life. Officers represent the student voice of campus.
Student body government is “responsible for providing student input on College decisions that impact students, including Campus facilities, District policies and procedures, Curriculum, Student equity, and the District budget,” according to the Associated Students of Delta College webpage.

Walker offered praise for the students who have stepped into the roles for the remainder of the year.
“I can’t give these students enough kudos for the work they were able to do, and my colleagues,” Walker said. When asked when the new slate of officers are expected to start their terms, Walker said that students begin training to fulfill the elected ASDC positions in June to ensure they are ready for the following semester. These positions are held for a term of one year before the next Spring elections are held.