Traditional landscaping may harm biodiversity

1015
0

We love our lawns to be prim and proper; Cutting our grass short, trimming bushes and trees to our desired shape, and planting flowers and plants that are not native to the area. The problem with this landscaping that we have become accustomed to is that we may be harming the native biodiversity in the area.

“Unfortunately, most of the landscaping plants available in nurseries are alien species from other countries. These exotic plants not only sever the food web, but many have become invasive pests, outcompeting native species and degrading habitat in remaining natural areas,” says the website of the National Audubon Society, which aims to preserve birds and their habitats.

Native grass and lawns are more sustainable. These grasses require less water than grasses such as centipedegrass or bermudagrass, which are common grasses used for lawns. 

“Every year across the country, lawns consume nearly 3 trillion gallons of water a year, 200 million gallons of gas (for all that mowing), and 70 million pounds of pesticides,” according to a 2016 article by the National Resource Defense Council, an international environmental advocacy non-profit based in the United States. 

Native California biodiversity is resilient to harsh weather. Plants such as the California goldfield, miniature lupine, and blue field gilia are all drought tolerant and can be found growing in Stockton. Plants such as the California wildrose, the common meadowfoam, and the California buttercup, which can also all be found in Stockton, can survive in moisture levels that range from low to high. The Calscape website provides a tool to see which plants are native to the Stockton area and what conditions they can grow in. 

Native grasses do not need the same maintenance; they can be left to grow long, require less watering, and add to your garden’s native biodiversity. 

Native biodiversity requires fewer pesticides and chemicals. “Lawns and the ubiquitous bark-mulched landscapes are notorious for requiring profuse amounts of artificial fertilizers and synthetic chemical pesticides and herbicides,” says the National Audubon Society. “The traditional suburban lawn, on average, has 10 times more chemical pesticides per acre than farmland. By choosing native plants for your landscaping, you are not only helping wildlife, but you are creating a healthier place for yourself, your family, and your community.”

Manicured lawns drive away local pollinators. Pollinators include bees, hummingbirds, butterflies, beetles and mosquitos. Pollinators are essential to the environment because their work helps plants, fruits and flowers to grow, prevents soil erosion and contributes to clean air. 

“Three-fourths of the world’s flowering plants and about 35 percent of the world’s food crops depend on animal pollinators to reproduce. That’s one out of every three bites of food you eat. More than 3,500 species of native bees help increase crop yields,” according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Manicured lawns contain little native biodiversity to attract pollinators, and insecticides applied to lawns drive them away. 

Those who may be considering planting native plants in their gardens may be worried about the amount of their level of maintenance and work, can rest assured that native plants are easier to grow. Native plants are adapted to an area’s weather, water and soil conditions, which means they are more prepared for changes. Native plants are also noninvasive, meaning they will not negatively affect other native plants. 

There are many benefits of having a biodiverse garden or lawn for individuals and for the environment. The planting of native biodiversity helps to protect our local environment now and in the future.