Lavender Graduation one of many events recognizing students

413
0

Delta’s Pride Center is hosting a Lavender Graduation on May 12 at 5:30 p.m. in the quad outside of Danner Hall. 

The event invites any graduate from Summer/Fall 2022 and Spring graduate for 2023 who identifies themselves within the LGBTQ+ community.

This event is for students who are graduating or part of the Pride Scholar program and frequents the Pride Center. It is a time to come together to celebrate those who are graduating. 

The Lavender Graduation is an annual event for Delta; however, since the beginning of Covid-19 pandemic the event has been small and virtual.

This year the Lavender Graduation will be one of the biggest events for Pride Center.

The event will include food and music. Graduates who register will be given certificates and rainbow stoles to be worn at the May 18 graduation ceremony at Stockton Arena.

Pride Center Student Program Specialist Jasmin Arroyo thinks it is important for this event to be celebrated because it allows students to be themselves in their ceremony. 

“I know some schools, high schools or colleges have gowns separate by gender but with the lavender graduation coming as they are lesbian, gay, bisexual invite their LGBTQ partners or parents it allows students to be themselves in their ceremony,” said Arroyo. 

As center specialist, Arroyo helps students navigate their Delta College journey.

“My role as student program specialist for the Pride Center is to serve as a resource for LGBTQ students who understand their identity and lived experiences but can also guide them through their journey at Delta. I organize both educational and community events. I think students will benefit and oversee the Pride Scholar program where students get one on one academic support, “ said Arroyo.  

Lavender Graduation is a nationwide event that was created by Dr. Ronni Sanlo, a Jewish lesbian who was denied access to attend the graduation of her two biological children because of her sexual orientation. 

Sanlo helped create the first Lavender Graduation at the University of Michigan in 1995, according to the Human Rights Campaign. According to the Human Rights Campaign by 2001, there were over 45 Lavender graduation ceremonies at colleges and universities nationwide. 

Today many other colleges and universities follow up with this ceremony and continue to have a Lavender Graduation. 

Arroyo said it is also a big step for some students who attend the event because and are given stoles, particularly in showcasing their LGBTQ+ identities. 

“Students attending are making bold decisions who are attending because they have not come out, or people will know you are part of the LGBTQ community if attending this event or wear rainbow stoles that will be given to the school’s graduation ceremony,” said Arroyo.

The RSVP deadline to participate in the Lavender Graduation is 5 p.m. on April 21. Students can RSVP at tinyurl.com/Lav-Grad-23

MAY 1, 2023 UPDATE: Times for two special graduation events have been corrected from the initial print version of Collegian. For an up-to-date list, visit the Delta College 2023 Commencement page.

UPCOMING GRADUATION EVENTS
General Graduation Ceremony, 6 p.m. May 18, Stockton Arena
Career/Technical Education Graduation, 6 p.m. May 12, Atherton Auditorium
Phoenix Project Ceremony, 6 p.m. May 4, Upper Danner
La Raza Graduation, 6 p.m. May 8, Atherton Auditorium
Puente Graduation, 5:30 p.m. May 9, Danner Hall
Torch of Excellence Ceremony, 5:30 p.m. May 10, Tillie Lewis Theatre
CalWORKs & EOPS Student Recognition Celebration, 6 p.m. May 11, Danner Hall
AANHPI Graduation, 10 a.m. May 13, Tillie Lewis Theatre
ADN Spring Pinning Ceremony, 6 p.m. May 17, Atherton Auditorium
CNA Certificate Ceremony, 2 p.m. May 25, Tillie Lewis Theatre
Psych Tech Pinning Ceremony, 6 p.m. June 21, Atherton Auditorium
Veterans Graduation, 12 p.m. May 9, Dolores Huerta Plaza