Campus health center looks to serve more students

405
0
Delta College Health Center logo, decorative

The Delta Health Center is two-years old, but there are some new things students should know about. Since its opening in July 2021, the center has offered services to students on campus, but some students still may not know about those offerings.

“I think it’s a great asset for everyone to utilize”, said student Yaseen Eltayeb. 

Those associated with the center said that despite advertising, they still aren’t seeing as many students as they’d like to serve.

Currently the health center sees on average only a couple students a day, yet has the resources to see 200 plus students a month. 

“Our current goal is to [have] 100 students for medical, 75 students for behavioral, and 10 students for dental,” said April Cox, the center manager. 

The center offers much more than just an ice pack and a get well soon. The health center isn’t a simple nurse’s office. It’s a full medical clinic. 

The center offers video call appointments for the students at home or those not feeling so good. On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays the health center offers standards for physical and general medical health due to most students being on campus those days. It also offers condoms and contraceptives and has complete patient privacy.

One perk offered at the health center that not many other doctors clinics offer is dental, which must be scheduled and is offered once a month. But not only does the health center offer physical healing but mental healing too, as the center offers behavioral therapy on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. 

In October students can expect flu shots since that time of year is coming up. The health center also offers covid shots and tests, which has been done since its opening. 

The center’s  main demographic is Delta’s low-income students, as many can’t or struggle to make time out of their busy days and time to support themselves or family to get a checkup. Although the center has so much to offer students in need, it can’t help with everything. For those situations the center can refer patients  to a local Community Medical Centers office, which operates the health center. 

“We can connect you to our network of services,” said  Community Medical Centers Communications Manager  Roger Phillips.