Slasher films vs. supernatural horror films

782
0
Halloween Ends 2

Growing up as a child I easily got terrified of any scary/horror content. For example, hearing ghost stories, or watching demonic movies will give me sleepless nights.

This made Halloween become one of my least favorite holiday celebrations for me.

However, I would prefer having a ghost sitting in the corner of my bed at 3 a.m. than going to bed knowing there can be a person roaming in my neighborhood with a horror costume, murdering or torturing people.

Having ghosts stroll into your home can cause mental distress that can lead to mental health, and interfere with your peace of mind; however, this can less likely cause any physical damage.

Or simply less harmful as long as you are not being possessed/influenced by any demonic spirits then exorcism with a good priest to holy the place can be the solution to all of this.

I probably cannot remember everything I ate last week, but I can remember when was the last time I stopped watching scary movies.

It has been more than 10 years since I last watched a horror movie. In my eighth grade year it was my first time watching 2007’s “Halloween.”

The movie is about the main character Michael Myers, a psychopath who suffers from mental health issues.

Myers kills his sister’s boyfriend and then her. He also keeps his sister’s boyfriend’s mask and keeps it on during the movie.

I think when first watching this movie my mind was first time processing that there are more terrifying things than just horror and ghost stories.

For example, other movies like “IT” are about a clown, known as “Pennywise.” In the movies, kids start missing and these kids are being held by the clown in the home/basement.

It’s something that can easily be mimicked by someone easily influenced by the media. Combined with terrifying costumes, real-world boundaries can be crossed.

In 2016, there was a viral trend where people would dress like scary clowns and be in random locations.

However, during this trend, there was no real physical harm — but it could have.

Just like I am terrified of creepy clowns, I am sure many other people are too. It’s easy to imagine someone resorting to physical self-defense behavior.

Despite not having any recent clown cases there is a list of history of serial killers dressed as clowns that brought conflicts or have murder cases.

According to a 2016 article from the New York Post, “5 Terrifying stories to clown to make sure you never sleep again” these are the two murder clown cases.

In “Cold Case Clown” in May 1990, a woman Marlene Warren opened her home door to a person dressed as a clown who shot her.

“Pogo the Clown” John Wayne Gacy, one of the famous serial killers was convicted of 33 murders according to a Rolling Stone article “Serial-Killer Clown John Wayne Gacy in Docuseries. Gacy gained popularity as a clown who would dress up for children’s birthday parties.

One can argue in horror movies like “Chucky” and “Annabelle” where both toys are alive because they are possessed by demonic spirits. Those are not events that can happen in reality because we know toys do not have life and there is a solution like practicing exorcism.

Now that I am older my mental health would not be at peace knowing a serial killer can be around but a prayer or any home entertainment can keep me distracted from any ghost and simply staying away from any horror content keeps my spirit in peace.