Nothing but net for women’s basketball

447
0

Delta’s women’s basketball team has been victorious this season. The weekend before Thanksgiving, the team traveled between two colleges in the Bay Area to partake in the Sky Jag tournament.The weekend before Thanksgiving, Delta’s women’s basketball team traveled to the Bay Area to partake in the Sky Jag tournament and continue their victorious season. 

On Nov. 16, the Sky Jag tournament was held at San Jose City College (SJCC), where the Mustangs played against the College of the Siskiyous. The away team brought their all to the court. However, Delta came out victorious scoring 76 to 66. 

Freshman, guard, Serenity Santos, scores before the buzzer. Photo by Jelissa King

Even though the Mustangs have been undefeated so far, the head coach mentions that there’s always room to improve. 

“We are playing our best so far. We have so much improvement to be made. We’re learning a lot, we’re very young. There’s a lot of culture and team building that we’re working on,” said Head Coach Gina Johnson. 

Delta wasn’t done becoming triumphant  at  the next game. On Nov. 17, the Sky Jag tournament continued at SJCC. The next match was against Fullerton College, where they played poorly in the four quarters. The score between both teams was 69 to 51. 

The Mustangs then traveled to Skyline College in San Bruno for the last game of the tournament. On Nov. 18, Delta played against the home-team the Trojans. During the four quarters, it was rough for Skyline, leaving the Mustangs undefeatable at the Sky Jag tournament, scoring 68 to 54. However, this tournament is just the beginning of the season and with many more competitive games to come. 

“Every game is important. The (sic)toughest tournament is going to be at Moorpark College. Moorpark has the top teams in the state playing against each other. Definitely more competitive,” said Johnson.