Coffee vs. energy drinks: the clash & backlash of caffeine

153
0

When you wake up in the morning what do you look forward to? I know it’s not going to school or work, so what motivates you to take on the workload? Is it a hot tasty coffee or is it a cold fizzy energy drink? 

I identify myself as a coffee snob, someone who goes to local coffee shops and enjoys an iced latte or a fluffy dalgona. I drink coffee every morning. But depending on the day whether it’s going to school, finishing up homework or commuting to work, I will indulge myself with an energy drink to give me an extra boost. 

I’ve always had this argument with people who drink energy boosters; do you prefer coffee or energy drinks? Either way, they both have caffeine. But two arguments are always brought up. Which one gives more energy and which one tastes better?

Some Delta students are particular about the energy drinks they consume and how much caffeine they need. 

“Preferably, I like energy drinks. It tastes better than coffee,” said Delta student Jerome Howard. “I work late nights, so I try not to drink too many energy drinks a day. Sometimes I’ll get a Rebel at Dutch Bros. or I’ll just grab a Monster at the liquor store.” 

The other argument is taste. Most coffee drinkers would put sugar with creamer or milk. However, some coffee drinkers love it black for its bitter taste. Former Delta student Angel Carr thinks black coffee is better. 

“When you add all that sugar and stuff it takes away the flavor. You’re not an actual coffee drinker if you don’t drink it black. If I go to a coffee shop, I’ll sometimes order an espresso shot,” said Carr. 

One cup of coffee has 95mg of caffeine. That can change depending on what size you get at a coffee shop. Energy drinks, it varies on the serving amount and different brands, it can start at 47mg to 300mg per can. 

Panera Bread has been receiving backlash due to its Charged lemonades containing high levels of caffeine. In September 2022, 21-year-old Sarah Katz died from cardiac arrest after the consumption of the beverage. In October 2023, a 46-year-old man, Dennis Brown, also died from a heart attack after consuming the lemonade, while driving home.

The Katz family filed a lawsuit against Panera in October 2023. 

“The caffeine content of Panera Charged Lemonade ranges from 260 milligrams in 20 fluid ounces (regular size) to 390 milligrams in 30 fluid ounces (large cup, Sip Club size),” according to Katz v. Panera lawsuit. 

Adults can consume up to 400mg a day, according to the FDA website. However, according to Panera’s online nutrition label, a large 30-ounce lemonade contains 236mg of caffeine.